German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To preface this post:Teddy has been to the urgent care and our family vet.

7yr old male named Teddy had issues starting Wednesday overnight. He was vomiting and acting skiddish. Next day he was lethargic and refusing to eat and drank a little water. Then he vomited blood, so I took him to the Urgent care. Had a fever and vet ruled out pancreas and didn't think it was foreign object. Put him on anti biotic and something for nausea. He has not eaten since Wednesday night, but he is drinking water and urinating. No blood in urine. Took him back to family vet on Saturday and he seemed to have more energy, but still not eating. (No vomiting since Wednesday) Vet did xrays of stomach to rule out foreign object and a couple other things. Was given some different anti nausea meds and some other meds for reflux. Today Teddy is very lethargic and still refusing to eat, but drinking fluids and urinated.

Other symptoms have been some discharge for the nose, clear fluid. Some issues with stability, but not collapsing or falling over. Probably, I'm assuming, from lack of calories.

Should I try syringe feeding him some chicken and rice from the blender? I really would rather wait until tomorrow to hospitalize him with family vet. I'm not refusing if he gets worse today, but urgent care will the 2x3 times the cost and a bit of a drive.

IF you have have any advice or knowledge I would appreciate it.

Teddy is up to date on all shots. No past health issues. No change in food. He does get occasional table scraps, but nothing crazy and not daily. Does sneak in to some cat food at times also.

·
Registered
6,274 Posts
Since your vet has already seen him for this, if you call today and leave a message, your vet might call you back and offer advice. Many vets do that when they already have a history with the patient.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
To preface this post:Teddy has been to the urgent care and our family vet.

7yr old male named Teddy had issues starting Wednesday overnight. He was vomiting and acting skiddish. Next day he was lethargic and refusing to eat and drank a little water. Then he vomited blood, so I took him to the Urgent care. Had a fever and vet ruled out pancreas and didn't think it was foreign object. Put him on anti biotic and something for nausea. He has not eaten since Wednesday night, but he is drinking water and urinating. No blood in urine. Took him back to family vet on Saturday and he seemed to have more energy, but still not eating. (No vomiting since Wednesday) Vet did xrays of stomach to rule out foreign object and a couple other things. Was given some different anti nausea meds and some other meds for reflux. Today Teddy is very lethargic and still refusing to eat, but drinking fluids and urinated.

Other symptoms have been some discharge for the nose, clear fluid. Some issues with stability, but not collapsing or falling over. Probably, I'm assuming, from lack of calories.

Should I try syringe feeding him some chicken and rice from the blender? I really would rather wait until tomorrow to hospitalize him with family vet. I'm not refusing if he gets worse today, but urgent care will the 2x3 times the cost and a bit of a drive.

IF you have have any advice or knowledge I would appreciate it.

Teddy is up to date on all shots. No past health issues. No change in food. He does get occasional table scraps, but nothing crazy and not daily. Does sneak in to some cat food at times also.

A nice shot of vitamin b12 might do the trick. We keep that in my house for my Mega E boy when he has issues of regurge for a few days

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Vomiting blood concerns me. Any possibility he got into a poison? Neighbors rat poison, lawn chemicals? any thing like that. I would definitely get him back to vet if were my dog. Did they rule out hemangiosarcoma?
You could try bone broth since he is drinking. Have you tried offering a bland diet of pouched boneless chicken and overcooked boiled rice? Or lean cooked and rinsed ground beef and rice? Many vets prescribe this for dogs that have been ill and need a mild easily digestible diet while recovering.

ETA: antibiotics can upset the tummy as well. So if he already had an upset tummy the antibiotics may make it worse. what did they prescribe?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vomiting blood concerns me. Any possibility he got into a poison? Neighbors rat poison, lawn chemicals? any thing like that. I would definitely get him back to vet if were my dog. Did they rule out hemangiosarcoma?
You could try bone broth since he is drinking. Have you tried offering a bland diet of pouched boneless chicken and overcooked boiled rice? Or lean cooked and rinsed ground beef and rice? Many vets prescribe this for dogs that have been ill and need a mild easily digestible diet while recovering.

ETA: antibiotics can upset the tummy as well. So if he already had an upset tummy the antibiotics may make it worse. what did they prescribe?
Very little chance of getting into chemicals. He's an in and out dog unless we are out with him.
We tried rice and chicken and he had no interest.
Sucralfate an hour before Clavamox anti biotic. Plus Famotidine for antacid and Cerenia for nausea.

He's going back tomorrow morning for sure. Just going to hospitalize him until it gets figured out. I am getting some chicken baby food down him now. Just a bit at a time and he threw up after 1, just a small bit. Almost more like a reflux than puke. Other than that he's kept it down, drank water and urinated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts