German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The late afternoon walk I take Molly on is a just over 3km circuit and we stop in briefly to say Hi to my parents...well today after Molly had her fill of cuddles and feeling the love we walked home and it was almost dark ( it's nearly winter here). A man got out of a bus in front of us and kept turning around, I had Molly heeling and wasn't too bothered. Then he said something which I couldn't decipher so i just said Hi and kept on going. He was calling to Molly saying "come here" and I said "No sorry she is in training so no pats" and kept walking. Well the freak kept on coming over and saying "she's OK, I want to pat her, come here pup". Molly is straining at her leash desperately wanting more attention. I told him in a really nasty voice "I said NO and don't come any closer, DO NOT TOUCH MY DOG". He still was trying to get close enough to touch her. He looked at me and I admit to feeling a bit on the panicked side (I am not afraid of much and have always felt confident that I could handle any issues) but this was a bit spooky. It was almost dark and there are sod all streetlights around, very little traffic and no one else visible. So as soon as I could I crossed the road and he did the same but kept in front of me. I stopped and waited until he was far enough in front that I could just make him out. Thankfully we weren't too far from home but I have now decided that I will walk only when it is light out, well at least until if and when Molly wouldn't lick a stranger to death! I think I just got a bit complacent as I used to walk my previous dogs together ( GSD x and a Rotti x so nobody was going to get near me if I said no).

·
Registered
125 Posts
You can also take your mobile phone, even if it's a pre-paid with no money on it you will still be able to call the police, or even pretend to make a phone call the thought that someone may be coming may be enough to put him off.

·
Registered
288 Posts
thats scary! we had a similar exp. once. My 13yr old daughter had mia's leash and i was only 2 steps behind them, Mia was about 8mths old. a man was cycling on the otherside, he couldn't see me( a bush prob. obstructed his view) but he saw my girls and came off his bike and wanted to pet mia and i cud hear him say ,'oh wat a lovely dog, can i pet her etc'' when i showed up and rudely but firmly said NO she is in training blah blah, he left with a creepy smile on his face. while all this was going on my FOOLISH OVERTLY FRIENDLY Mia was straining on the leash to go to him and prob. go with him. So i know now that all people have to do is smile and she will be theirs! where is the great gsd loyalty and protection etc? i have a lamb in a wolf's clothing!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the ideas! I don't think pepper spray is even legal here but I will look into it. I do always have my phone on me and my first and only thought regarding that was to call my partner to come and get me (us) but then it dawned on me....he's a recent paraplegic and was in bed and he cannot get up without me hoisting him...duh! No help there! Called my dad just before and he said to carry a screwdriver in my pocket and not be afraid to use it! Hmmm and I thought my dog was meant to protect me one day!!!! I think I will just leave for our walks early and be home before dark. :) I'm a bit of a tough cookie and quite a strong female but it did just really give me the eejie beejies!

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats scary! we had a similar exp. once. My 13yr old daughter had mia's leash and i was only 2 steps behind them, Mia was about 8mths old. a man was cycling on the otherside, he couldn't see me( a bush prob. obstructed his view) but he saw my girls and came off his bike and wanted to pet mia and i cud hear him say ,'oh wat a lovely dog, can i pet her etc'' when i showed up and rudely but firmly said NO she is in training blah blah, he left with a creepy smile on his face. while all this was going on my FOOLISH OVERTLY FRIENDLY Mia was straining on the leash to go to him and prob. go with him. So i know now that all people have to do is smile and she will be theirs! where is the great gsd loyalty and protection etc? i have a lamb in a wolf's clothing!:rolleyes:
Ditto! Molly is so friendly to everyone, she will lick people to death given the opportunity.....death by slobber hahaha! I just have no idea what this guy was playing at...maybe he really did want to pat her but what a creep. I mean I know my girl is stunningly beautiful hahahaha but still!

·
Registered
288 Posts
all gsds are beauties(can u tell i am prejudiced?)but once u say no it shud mean NO. my husband loves golf but he doesn't get out of his car if he sees strangers, teenagers, children whoever playing and say,' oh what a lovely golf club, can i see it?'' i always carry my cell phone and its a good idea like someone here suggested.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
all gsds are beauties(can u tell i am prejudiced?)but once u say no it shud mean NO. my husband loves golf but he doesn't get out of his car if he sees strangers, teenagers, children whoever playing and say,' oh what a lovely golf club, can i see it?'' i always carry my cell phone and its a good idea like someone here suggested.
Exactly that's what I thought! I have never encountered someone who repeatedly tried to touch her after I said no. There are quite a few kids around here who get so excited to see their 'friend' Molly but if she is being a super hyper pain and I say sorry not today they whinge but accept it! This guy was just plain weird.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
Ditto! Molly is so friendly to everyone, she will lick people to death given the opportunity.....death by slobber hahaha! I just have no idea what this guy was playing at...maybe he really did want to pat her but what a creep. I mean I know my girl is stunningly beautiful hahahaha but still!
Don'r forget that your Molly is still a baby - you wouldn't want her to be protective at such a young age. Iam sure that she will be growing more protective as she matures. All of our GSD's did that even the ones who were extremely friendly as puppies. they grow the ability to sense someone who is a bit wierd as they get to be an adult.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I agree thank you! There is hope! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts