German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my puppy nulo freestyle, and have been generally following the guidelines on the back. He is 39 and 1/2 pounds at 16 weeks and seems to be shaped correctly.my question is that the bag has a large drop in volume starting at 4 months. It suggests maybe 1/4 less total food. Is this a standard recommendation? it's hard to tell with my dog since he's always hungry it seems.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I fed my puppy 2 to 2 1/2 cups at 12 wks, then her food intake continued to grow along with her, eventually reaching 7-8 cups a day (and she would have and could have eaten more!) By about 7 months. She started to noticeably slow down at 9 months until she was back to 3-4 cups a day.

The main thing to go by, since all foods are different and activity levels vary, is to just go by the dog. If you don't see at least a couple of ribs qhen they're running, and/or they've lost the taper in the waist when viewed from behind and above, cut back a bit. My dog was always very lean in spite of eating like there was no tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Some people recommend cutting back a little on calories and protein at that age so the dog won't grow too fast, which might adversely effect growth plates at the ends of certain bones and possibly contribute to hip and elbow dysplasia. My pup acted like he was always starving, so I just made sure he wasn't getting too much protein for a few months and then switched to a higher protein food. I also think it is important to add real food to kibble, such as cooked organ meat and ground turkey, cooked eggs, canned greens and vegetables that are finely chopped, and some plain yogurt that isn't fat free. You don't need to add much and be sure any vegetables you add are safe for dogs to eat..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts