German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just wanting to see if there was any advice you could give, my 3.5 year old male has always had a sensitive stomach and I finally have him on Royal Canin Hypoallergenic food does the trick stopping sloppy and bloody poops. About a year down the track, at the start of this year I noticed a small wound on the back of his rear paw, nothing major, kept an eye on it eventually got worse after a couple months and spread to his paw pads, had a biopsy and blood test that apparently didn’t reveal anything, other then possible allergies, and he was put on Apoquel. Seemed to heal and do the trick for about 2months, now it’s come back worse then before (finding lesions all over him). I have been washing his paws when he comes back inside, switched him into indoor only except for bathroom breaks and stopped taking him out for walks as his paw pads got to the point of bleeding all the time. Taken him to a new vet which has now switched him to Cyclosporin, (after trying double dose of Apoquel and antibiotics). Which he has now been on for 2 weeks (he hasn’t been accepting it well, first night spent hours trying to poop and vomiting, vet advised he will adjust, now 2 weeks in and another night of him trying to poop for hours and vomiting...) I’m at my wits end, trying to do what’s right for my buddy but nothings working. Any insight to other Shepherds you might know of having similar issues and what their solutions ended up being would be so helpful. His quality of life is just terrible now and it’s not what I want for him. Please any info would be really appreciated. Photo is from after his biopsy etc, when he originally started to heal back up.

·
Registered
5,812 Posts
Have you tried weekly (or even 2x weekly) Chlorhexidene veterinary shampoo baths? They sometimes work magic in dogs with allergy issues by knocking down the opportunistic staph and other microbes that have colonized, while also washing off the environmental triggers. It won't strip coat oils. Just keep it AWAY from the head (shoulders down) so it can get anywhere near the eyes, and follow bottle directions EXACTLY (leave it on for 5-10 min. etc.). There's also a foam that you can rub in that helps.

I usually try to buy chlorhex shampoo in a 4% strength, but 2% often works too. I don't think brand matters much, but the brands Triz-Chlor and Douxo are reputable. Douxo is probably the easiest brand to find in the global market, as it's made by Ceva/Sogeval (a French Pharma company). In some countries this is an OTC product; in others, it may have to be purchased from a vet. Amazon, Chewy, and other pet supply websites sell it in the U.S. -- you can look at the reviews of Triz-Chlor 4 and Douxo Chlorhexidene PS shampoo on Amazon/US to see how well it works on itching.

In between baths, I would spray Vetericyn wound care spray on all the lesions. They'll heal much faster and may not turn into hotspots that way. It doesn't sting at all, so dogs tolerate it easily.

I also think a visit with a veterinary dermatologist would be money well spent for a dog like this. Allergies can be very hard to get under control, so having an expert guiding you can end up saving money and time (and suffering) in the long run.

Congrats on getting the GI system allergic flare-ups under control -- that's huge! I have a food allergy dog and went through the bloody poop and chronic diarrhea too, so I know how big a deal it is for you to have solved that. Kudos!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
My dog has been long term on cyclosporine, with ketoconazole, to treat (successfully) anal furunculosis. Different drugs have been administered concurrently with cyclosporine in order to reduce the amount of cyclosporine needed to maintain adequate blood drug concentrations. The most common drug administered with cyclosporine is ketoconazole, an antifungal agent shown to allow a decrease in the dosage of oral cyclosporine in dogs by as much as 75% "

Some information in this thread may be helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts