German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I guess there is no getting out of it now. The check has been cashed, the judging schedule is set, and I'm having a serious case of nerves. It's not like I've never had my dog NQ, or act like a fool (I showed Ilka, for Pete's sake), but Im still going "Are you CRAZY? Why did you enter her in a trial? Neither of us is ready! We'll NEVER be ready!" I've hardly trained at all this week, and the trial is on November 2nd, so that leaves us two weeks for training, and this girl can't seem to do a "front" to save her life.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Good luck!!

Even if you don't feel ready, honestly, it's not a big deal! If not this time, the experience will help you both get ready for the next one. Just go in there with the attitude that it's a (hard) practice run, if that helps.

So I tell myself, anyway. Sometimes it works. ;)

But yeah, we're right there with you. Pongu's doing his first Novice obedience match tomorrow morning, and then our first actual trial is next Saturday (CDSP, not AKC -- easier in some ways, harder in others). I already entered us for another trial two weeks after that, because I'm so completely certain that we'll need at LEAST five tries to pick up our three Novice legs that I figured I might as well just go ahead and sign up for 'em all before we even do our first practice match. OPTIMISM.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Good luck! Don't let your nerves get to you, no big deal. Get what practice you can between now and then and just go do it, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, I'm sure once we get in the ring, I'll be fine. It's just the "OMG, what have you done?!" panic at the moment.

Merciel, you're so lucky to have so many different venues to trial in. Down here, it's pretty much AKC or nothing. There might be some UKC or ASCA trials, but they are few and far between. There are also very few matches and/or show and goes/run throughs to get some experience.

Of course, if I waited until we were "ready", we'd never set foot in the ring at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Have fun! I feel your pain, we are doing the same thing, and I know we are not ready, but I want to get the experiences under our belt. Someday we will be ready, so its important to prepare for that! :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I totally understand what you are going through. My puppy is 5 months old and I can't trial her until next year after she turns 9 months old and since the day I got her I have been freaking out about entering and not being perfect. I really hate it and just want to get it over with to stop feeling this way and at the same time I am thinking that maybe it's best if I just not compete in this sport at all. You know, in case we're not perfect when the time comes... :headbang:

Good luck in the trial! :)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, she finally seems to remember what the heck "Front" means. She still blows by me at times, but is better than she was a week ago. As long as she comes, and then parks her fluffy little hiney somewhere in the vicinity of "front" on the recall, I'll be happy.

Also, let's hope she doesn't decide to pull Ilka's trick of coming in at top speed, then jumping up and body slamming me instead of sitting. I'd come home from trials with bruises, and she nearly knocked me over more than once.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sigh..... Let's just say that the two good things about today are that Leo seemed to have fun, and that it is over. She acted like she'd never heard the word "heel" in her life, and was generally being silly. We NQed on both classes. The fact that I went around the wrong cone on the figure 8 for an IP in Rally didn't help matters.

Back to training for the next trial, and hope for her brain to be delivered before then. I planned on entering her in some trials in January, but now I'm not so sure. I may wait until May (Gonzales, LA), or possibly even June (same club that is holding the January trials).

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Good to get your feet wet! Might not be the result you were hoping for, but it's a good experience to learn from. I went to a some sort of competition at my wife's club, I'm not sure what to make of it, utilities, obedience, rally, tie breakers, I was lost. Lots of nice people to talk to and learn from and I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Aw man, I'm sorry. But like everyone said: good for you going out there and doing it.

Have I posted "Sometimes Everything Just Sucks" here before? I can't remember. It makes me feel better after disaster days, so I'll repost it anyway: Sometimes Everything Just Sucks | Team Unruly

January's a decent amount of time away. That's at least two months off, and two months is enough to make a difference -- at least enough of a difference to get a sense of whether you're heading in the right direction. I say go for it, and train hard in the meantime, especially if Leo seemed to have fun at this trial.

But I'm also the master of the Brute Force NQ technique (i.e., throwing entries down the toilet to infinity until it finally chokes on the sheer volume of my NQs and gives up) so, you know, grain of salt and all that. ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just remind myself to look on the bright side of "she's alive to embarrasses the heck out of me". I don't know it I've ever talked about how I acquired her on this forum, but this is the story. Speed Queen Leontine - Doberman Forum : Doberman Breed Dog Forums Both my vet and I had serious doubts that she would survive, so to have her NQ in the ring a year and a half on isn't so shabby.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
Glad you found her and decided to keep her. Do you have any recent pictures of her? I know she was wandering the streets when you found her, but what a cute pup! curious to see her now.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you. Even though I can point out just about everyone of her conformation faults (and she has a lot), I think she is beautiful, also. :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
What a beautiful girl!! just have fun with it....she will do fine in time. I mean I think unless you have a seven year old seasoned dog...you have to expect NQs for awhile. It's the experience that matters.

We had our third NQ this weekend, but we got one whole station farther than the last time. Progress! And a fun day with other doggie friends.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How long have you been training her for obedience? (I'm sorry if it's been mentioned and I missed it)

It's inevitable to get NQ at some point. At least you've completed that and done your first trial together so that's a big step. I'm almost jealous, I can't wait to break the ice with trials because I feel while I haven't put myself and my dog out there it's just a huge thing to worry about instead of focusing on the training and enjoying this sport.

You should go for the January trials! Maybe you'll feel up to it in a few days or weeks :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts