German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rescued Birbo a 14mo GSD when he was brought to the vet clinic I work at. He was brought in by his 3rd owner. The owner wanted him put down but we convinced her to sign him over to the clinic and I adopted him (I have this paperwork as well). The owner had all of his previous owners information as well as the original AKC paperwork that was never sent in, so he is not registered with the AKC. He also had a microchip put in place by the original breeder. The microchip had never been registered (it is now, in my name). The microchip in place matches that on his AKC paperwork so I know that this paperwork does indeed go with Bibo.

My question is, I would like to get him registered with the AKC but his paperwork has the original owners info already in place as the new owner.
I know that I need to acquire a "bill of sale" from the original owner. The problem is I am not sure that I want the original owner or the the breeder he came from to know where he is for fear they will try to take him back. I have a lot of money and time invested in him between vet bills and training. I love him dearly. Does anyone know of a way to get him registered? Also, does the original owner OR breeder have any right/legal ability to take him from me?:confused:

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
depends on what was in the original owners paperwork/warranty agreement that went with the dog. Some breeders want first rights of refusal, or for any reason buyer can't keep dog, dog is to be returned to breeder.

as for registering him,,why not just PAL/ILP him via akc..? If he's neutered there should be no problem going that route. This would enable you to still participate in any akc events except the conformation ring.

I'm on the fence about contacting the breeder altho I would be mighty interested in how a 14mth old dog went thru 3 homes and this owner wanted him put down?? Why?

If I were the original breeder, I would want to know, if I felt you would provide him with a good home (which I don't doubt you are), I most likely would have no problem saying you can keep him. It would depend on who that breeder was, if they were a byb'er, I would not contact them. If it was a responsible well respected breeder I probably would.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
The breeder would have a heck of a fight on their hands trying to get the dog back, and chances are they aren't even going to consider trying. Especially if they see the dog is currently in a good home now.

Whether the contract can be enforced would be in question, and whether it can be enforced via YOU is an even bigger question. They would likely have to take that up with a breech of contract with the person who breeched it (the original owner who bought the dog from them). I don't think they can really do much for you. If you are uncomfortable, just don't provide any personal info.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm on the fence about contacting the breeder altho I would be mighty interested in how a 14mth old dog went thru 3 homes and this owner wanted him put down?? Why?

If I were the original breeder, I would want to know, if I felt you would provide him with a good home (which I don't doubt you are), I most likely would have no problem saying you can keep him. It would depend on who that breeder was, if they were a byb'er, I would not contact them. If it was a responsible well respected breeder I probably would.
Well from what I got from the woman that brought him in he was terribly people aggressive. She also told me that he was kept in one room most of the time and had to wear a shock collar. When he met someone new he was "shocked". Creating a fear of meeting anyone new. From what I can see the breeder he came from is reputable, GretchAnya German Shepherds in New Hampshire. I am just scared they will try to take him back, although I have two doctors at the clinic who will back me up as an excellent pet owner. And many more doctors that I have worked with, trust me I am not without allies! :) Thank you for your responses, it seems thus far the general verdict is that I should contact the original breeder.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to make things a little clearer Bo is now attending training with a trainer that specializes in aggression issues. Bo has improved greatly since I have had him. He is still scared to death of any high pitched beep that sounds like a shock collar warning though. . . :(

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
poor dog, sheesh some people are idiots, sounds like he is much better off with you

·
Registered
240 Posts
You don't need a "bill of sale" just signatures from the original owners on his registration papers or even have it over rulled by the breeder. The contract if there is one only applys to the original owner so you are in the clear and being a breeder myself would be happy as a clam to know that one of my pups are in a great home that loves them. (I check in on my 7 aussie pups just about every 6 months :p). If the breeder or original owner did try to pull something they would have no weight against you since you have all his paperwork and he is chipped in your name.

Good luck!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you. I intentionally adopt "problem dogs" I am always up for a challenge. Bo has been worth all the money and effort. I am a firm believer that when you take a dog into your home you are responsible for life. He will be with me and loved FOREVER. And you can bet that if I do contact this breeder and they want him back they had better be ready for a fight! Bo is the center of my world and loved by every body that knows him (after the initial meeting of course). He is by nature a sweet and gentle giant that has been taught very bad habits. Now I just need to figure out if I am ready to take a chance on contacting the original breeder . . .

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
I just checked out their site, I've seen it before, but can't recall "why"..

They seem like ok breeders from the site alone, I think I'd contact them, it does mention they want dogs back if for any reason they cannot be kept. They do have nice dogs, show them/health test etc. so I would consider them ethical breeders. (and heck their female was #1 at the nationals?)

Since he's gone thru 3 owners, none of them either contacted the original breeder, or they did, and they didn't want him back.

I would contact them and ask them about signing off those akc papers, legally, I honestly don't know anythng about:(

He's gorgeous by the way if he's the boy in your avatar:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You don't need a "bill of sale" just signatures from the original owners on his registration papers or even have it over rulled by the breeder. The contract if there is one only applys to the original owner so you are in the clear and being a breeder myself would be happy as a clam to know that one of my pups are in a great home that loves them. (I check in on my 7 aussie pups just about every 6 months :p). If the breeder or original owner did try to pull something they would have no weight against you since you have all his paperwork and he is chipped in your name.

Good luck!
Thank you, very reassuring! :)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's gorgeous by the way if he's the boy in your avatar:)
That is my "heart dog" Bear in my avatar. He has passed on (RIP soul mate). He was rescued from a police officer who was keeping him in a cage so small he could not stand up and he was not fed regularly. When I rescued him he was 25lbs under weight! Miss him terribly but Bo is proving himself every bit as special in his own way. I will get a picture of Bo up as soon as I can get my computer to stop being dumb.:D

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
awww Bear is stunning, so glad he had a good life with you! and yes would love to see Bo:)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bo is my avatar now!

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
ahhh he is handsome too! I see he likes sitting on the patio chair LOL

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
From the GretchAnya sample contract (http://www.gretchanya.com/petguarantee.pdf):
Purchase of puppy is understood to be a commitment to this dog for its entire life. The buyer agrees to contact the seller if for any reason, including divorce or separation, the buyer can no longer keep the dog. (emphasis mine)

It would seem the last buyer(s) also broke #7 of her contract:
Buyer agrees to never use an electric fence or "shock" training collar on puppy, otherwise all warranties are void.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
From the GretchAnya sample contract (http://www.gretchanya.com/petguarantee.pdf):
Purchase of puppy is understood to be a commitment to this dog for its entire life. The buyer agrees to contact the seller if for any reason, including divorce or separation, the buyer can no longer keep the dog. (emphasis mine)It would seem the last buyer(s) also broke #7 of her contract:Buyer agrees to never use an electric fence or "shock" training collar on puppy, otherwise all warranties are void.
I think the breeder would be really saddened to know what this dog has gone through but hopefully thrilled to know he now has a good home. Can't imagine how they could get him back and doubt they would try as long as he's in a good place. The damage seems to have been done way before you entered the picture, poor dog.

·
Registered
32,367 Posts
Why not go on www.akc.org and register him on line. Use the papers you have, the litter number, etc. and fill out your information.

Then you can contact the breeder, discuss the puppy, and decide whether you want for him to have your information.

Technically, each owner of the dog SHOULD have filled out a transfer of ownership. But you do not even get that until you register the dog the first time -- it is on the back of the registration papers they mail you.

There is a supplemental transfer, for more than one owner, each person should sign off, and pay the AKC a fee for each supplemental transfer. I think that the spirit of that is when you have a puppy from a breeder, sold to a broker, sold to a pet store, I do not understand the purpose in your case.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why not go on www.akc.org and register him on line. Use the papers you have, the litter number, etc. and fill out your information.

Then you can contact the breeder, discuss the puppy, and decide whether you want for him to have your information.

Technically, each owner of the dog SHOULD have filled out a transfer of ownership. But you do not even get that until you register the dog the first time -- it is on the back of the registration papers they mail you.

There is a supplemental transfer, for more than one owner, each person should sign off, and pay the AKC a fee for each supplemental transfer. I think that the spirit of that is when you have a puppy from a breeder, sold to a broker, sold to a pet store, I do not understand the purpose in your case.
You must have an online litter registration with a code to do this. If he is already registered you cannot register or change ownership online. Since he is in the first owner’s name I’m assuming he is already registered and she was given his registration papers not his litter papers.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Well, there's always,um, forgery.

When I bought my first car, I accidentally filled in the lien information with the sale information not knowing what a lien was. I was 17, what did I know. When I went to transfer the title, the lady at the currency exchange (Illinois) understood this and asked if I wanted to forge the prior owners name to release the lien. I said I'm not good at that stuff, so she did it for me.

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
I would not suggest doing anything unethical.....
Contact the breeder and explain the situation...I'm sure they/he/she will be very happy that you are giving this dog a permanent, loving home....after all, isn't that what is most important.?!
JMO

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.