German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog has matured a lot recently in all sorts of good ways. We have a BH and will work toward our IGP1 over winter.

My question is-- she has started leg wrapping- a lot. She's always been possessive- I had to try many things to get a non-conflicted out (and it can still be a challenge). Now, when training with a ball on string, she'll jump up and wrap her front legs around the string. I push her down onto my leg, and she wraps my leg, which is better but....

I'm fine with working and building possession as she loves the work and it builds drive, but should I be allowing this during OB training? She is STRONG!

I actually kind of love it, as she's come up in cooperation and drive at the same time, but wondering how to best work with this- she is all about working with me, not being forced.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Does either of your dogs parents do it?? I see more and more dogs doing it at top levels, as a means to try to stop the helper from moving away. Some people think it looks powerful, and I guess it does, but I'd personally prefer that they didn't do it. More than likely it's a genetic trait being passed on, the possessiveness...

·
Registered
34,163 Posts
I have two wrappers. One due to possession. One probably just do to genetics. I don't care about it in obedience. I do care in protection. It's a good way to trip a helper and have a hurt dog. My helper doesn't allow it and teaches them to pull cleanly. And, when I dog is wrapping or has their feet up, it's a good chance they won't out. "creating their own opposition reflex" was a comment I heard a few weeks ago when talking about exactly this.

i would say since she's trying to wrap the ball that yours is doing it out of possession. I see that behavior in my girl who has crazy, over the top, possession.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I would say it’s a personal choice in obedience training whether you allow it or not. It’s not like it will come up in the routine. As for protection there’s pros and cons. On one hand it allows the dogs to show significantly more power in stopping the helper. On the other it can cause sticky outs and lead to the grip degrading. It can be taught or encouraged through training. It can be discouraged or stopped through training so I don’t really see it as a genetic trait necessarily. If you watch Gero in his early performances kn the world stage he didn’t really push off the helper. If you watch his most recent ones, he absolutely does. As long as the grip and out are still good I wouldn’t worry about it. It can be pretty annoying to deal with as a helper, mostly because it makes it a lot harder to move.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts