German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does it start? Berlin is about 8.5 months old, intact, and still half squats in a stand to pee. He has never marked anything, ever. LOL. We go walking everywhere, and he definitely is more interested in every dogs pee-mail, but all he does is sniff it.

Will he EVER lift his leg and/or mark? (I'm actually okay if he doesn't lol)

He has been going through his rough n tough adolescent puberty stage and has a lot of testosterone surging, and I thought he would start these behaviors, but nope.

I've never owned a male dog before, no less an INTACT male, so no idea when or if this starts.

Also, not sure if this matters, but he doesnt hump ANYTHING except for my female (spayed) sometimes, but it's non sexual, and just a dominance thing.

I'm convinced he's a girl :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
It could start any day now! If you are not planning to breed him, you may want to talk to your vet about neutering. That would make life easier for your spayed female.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh boy!

I have talked to them already - planning on neutering him around a year of age (or 11 months) so I think in June. He doesn't really bother her except for the occasional hump. They are separated most of the time because she's an old lady.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado started lifting his leg just after 6 months but he's never marked

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
It could start any day now! If you are not planning to breed him, you may want to talk to your vet about neutering. That would make life easier for your spayed female.
He should not bother your spayed female anymore, being intact or neutered. She is not in heat so he won't try to breed her. If he tries to hump her it is to see if he can dominate her.
Intact males have such a bad reputation.
I have a spayed female and WD has never showed any sexual interest in her and if he would, it would be the first and least time he tried.

·
Registered
11,276 Posts
He should not bother your spayed female anymore, being intact or neutered. She is not in heat so he won't try to breed her. If he tries to hump her it is to see if he can dominate her.
Intact males have such a bad reputation.
I have a spayed female and WD has never showed any sexual interest in her and if he would, it would be the first and last time he tried.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Gunther (9 months) hasn't started to leg lift yet. He just stands there and doesn't even bother to squat :confused: I don't know if he'll ever grow out of it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exciting news! Berlin marked today on our run for the first time!! He marked TWICE! LOL! But he did it in girl-like fashion :headbang: Oh well, its a start!

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
Hans just did it last week for the first time.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh wow, so apparently he isnt too big of a late bloomer :p

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
1>>> what does your dog that makes you think he's going
through some rough N tough adolescent puberty stage?

2>>> he humps your female dog but it's not sexual, it's
dominance. how did you determine it's dominance?

i'm not sure when my dog started marking. when we're out
he can go as often as he wants. i don't care if he marks.
he never marks in the house. it's different for all dogs when they
start to mark. i think my dog was 15 months maybe 18 months old
when he first lift his leg.

When does it start? Berlin is about 8.5 months old, intact, and still half squats in a stand to pee. He has never marked anything, ever. LOL. We go walking everywhere, and he definitely is more interested in every dogs pee-mail, but all he does is sniff it.

Will he EVER lift his leg and/or mark? (I'm actually okay if he doesn't lol)

1>>> He has been going through his rough n tough adolescent puberty stage and has a lot of testosterone surging,

and I thought he would start these behaviors, but nope.

I've never owned a male dog before, no less an INTACT male, so no idea when or if this starts.

Also, not sure if this matters, but

2>>>> he doesnt hump ANYTHING except for my female (spayed) sometimes, but it's non sexual, and just a dominance thing.

I'm convinced he's a girl :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
My old dog can mark for an eternity, however when on leash I never let my dogs mark. Usually, I have another agenda and it's not so he can mark a trail down the walking track.

·
Registered
75 Posts
My GSD rescue was marking from the time of adoption (she was 2)...our muttpuppy rescue just started marking at about a year and a half old. It was hilarious, he seemed so unsure the first couple of times. He'd lift his leg, look around and quickly run away. He almost seemed surprised at himself the first time he marked. He's a very weird little guy. He's only been doing it for a couple of months now and still not with any regularity and it always makes me giggle when he has a go at it, so to speak. When he potties normally, he's still a dainty squatter.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Finn sometimes lifts his leg to mark, but other times he kind of stretches forward. Now, in his normal pee spots, like in our backyard, there's not much for him to mark; just a small stone wall, a solitary tree, and the steps leading out the back door. He knows not to mark on the neighbors' fence and he never marked the steps. He usually heads for the tree to do his thing. He's never marked in the house and he still has all his bits and pieces.

As for humping...he tried to hump Chey once and only once. She stopped that and quickly. He never tried it again. He's never been a humper of anything. I had more humping problems with my neutered male than I have with my un-netured guys.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
That is a good question whether or not he will mark. I think it depends on the dog. Jackson pees like a girl too and doesn't ever mark anything, he is also intact and nearly 3 years old.

I have had two other neutered males that marked everything they could. I am thinking it has more to do with the dog's dominance or maybe how territorial they are. I'm not really sure, but my last two were more dominant type where Jackson is more submissive.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, it finally happened. On our run, he decided to stop and well, lift that leg, and MARK! I of course, (being the embarrassing momma I am ;) ) HAD to capture it on camera! LOL.

So, after all, he really IS a boy! :D

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Its been a long time since I have seen a male dog lift its leg. Fixed or not fixed...Not one that I know does:confused: Sometimes I think my oldest female will one day, but not yet:D

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a male Brittany Spaniel that we rescued and he was intact until only days before we got him...he was a street pup and was rescued by us from the shelters urgent list. He raised his leg on EVERYTHING and marked constantly but after the testosterone was out of him he quit and now he squats to pee and rarely is ever lifts his leg anymore. (just thought Id share that because Ive never seen a dog quit lifting their leg once they have started but Im wondering if it all has to do with testosterone levels?)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Kaiser is 14.5 months old and has lifted his leg 5 times....2 of which were semi accidents, lol. I don't allow him to mark on walks but a couple times prior to on a walk he just HAD to pee on THaT Bush, in THAt specific spot, with his leg up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts