German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At what age in months or years did you notice your boy lifting his leg while going to the bathroom. Kreider is 12 months old and still doesn't lift his leg. Not that it's any problem, I'm more just curious

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Ozzy lifted his leg when he was about 11 weeks old. (Then again, he's a toy breed, so they usually lift their leg much earlier).

As WEIRD as this is going to sound, it worked....

We had a dalmatian when I was little, and he didn't lift his leg. My mom told me and my sister to go outside and pretend to lift our leg on the tree (jokingly). Low and behold, he started copying us! It only took a few times, but he did it!
I don't know how often that works (or how many people do it!) but that worked for Freckles! LOL

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kaos did it real young. Gonna guess around 4 months. My 6 month old puppy Havoc is just starting to do it. But it's not every time.....

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Dax is only 3.5 months old and my husband said he's done it once. I haven't seen it yet and I take him out 99% of the time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As WEIRD as this is going to sound, it worked....

We had a dalmatian when I was little, and he didn't lift his leg. My mom told me and my sister to go outside and pretend to lift our leg on the tree (jokingly). Low and behold, he started copying us! It only took a few times, but he did it!
I don't know how often that works (or how many people do it!) but that worked for Freckles! LOL
That is too funny... Ill give it a try haha

·
Registered
616 Posts
my boys: Ryker (3 1/2 y/o) started lifting his leg at about 12 mths. and i believe the only reason why is: while standing to pee he would end up peeing on the backs of his front legs :laugh: :eek:

Zorro (2 1/2 y/o) stands to pee, his pee does not reach his front legs.

And it doesnt matter whether they're neuter or not.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
my boys: Ryker (3 1/2 y/o) started lifting his leg at about 12 mths. and i believe the only reason why is: while standing to pee he would end up peeing on the backs of his front legs :laugh: :eek:
Kreider is a big long haired an is currently 105 lbs... His stream of pee looks very close to his front legs so I notice he has been squaring lower to avoid this. I wonder if he will eventually just lift his leg

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
Delgado started around 6 months and has never stopped

However, he doesn't lift his leg to actually mark so he still does pee on his front legs occasionally :rolleyes: Boys.... lol :p

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts
Mine is about a year and he half squats and half lifts a leg and pees on himself 80% of the time. I wish he would just do one or the other.

·
Registered
234 Posts
My Golden Doodle Gus didn't start until he was four years old! He's really fastidious and I think he really does NOT want to get pee on his front legs, lol, and he finally figured out that lifting was easier than the stretched-out squat he was doing..

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
That's really interesting I've never heard of that before.

An like I said, she didn't elaborate on why. I would assume she would be refering to young pups like mine who may have an occasional accident, easier to clean off the carpet than the sofa maybe? Thats the only reason I can think of.

To me, it doesn't bother me which way they go as long as it's outside. :)

·
Premium Member
14,021 Posts

My former male never did lift his leg. He lived for 13 yrs.

Our trainer actually discourages it. She didn't go into specifics of why but just brushed on it.
I believe when they squat they are able to empty the bladder completely. My golden will be 4 and he has never lifted his leg.

·
Registered
616 Posts
So if you get a dog neutered they will still lift there leg? I was always told if you do it early enough that they won't.
Ive had a neutered dog that liftd his leg (neutered early) and now both my boys are intact and one lifts the other doesnt. So neutering is not a guarantee that they wont.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts