German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over a week ago Yukon twisted his front leg while playing fetch. He walks with a limp all the time, and sometimes holds it up off the ground.

I plan on taking him to the vet sometime this week. I have a feeling though the vet is going to tell us "No more walks and long hikes for Yukon, not until his leg/foot is better."

It's been very hard this past week. The poor boy is going nuts in this house!

Any suggestions on how I can keep him entertained?

Thank you!

Anita

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
Kelso had a limp a few weeks back and we had to "rest" him for 1-2 wks per the vet. He was not holding his paw up, but nonetheless the vet put him on NSAIDS and recommended rest. The vet said it was tendonitis.

Kelso likes to be on the go, so we just did more leashed walks, hide and seek, new tricks (like high five instead of shake or teaching right and left paw..ect.) Practicing down stays, Tracking or just going to family and friends to chill.

Just not as strenuous physically but just as fun mentally

·
Registered
858 Posts
perhaps with all the leg injuries that are showing up we should have a sticky thread titled "things to do with your dog when you can run and jump!"
i am in in the same position with kali, but at least she is not 7 months old! i agree with the poster above, just start working in more training and "brain games". I also incorporate them on my walks, to make the walks more interesting and engaging (ie. randomly have periods of time when we work on "wait" or "touch" or some other command. i am also trying to teach her "go sniff" so i can control her intense desire to sniff everything). I am also taking her for walks in new places and working her, for a challenge. in a way it can be a great time to work on all those control behaviors we all put off because running and playing is more fun (for both the dog and the human).
Good luck!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Same boat here, Chara has been on rest for the last three weeks and she is a very high drive dog.

I have the option of taking her to the beach and let her swim to release all that energy. It's a great way of giving them exercise with no pressure on the limbs. I also do nice slow leash walks and a lot of brain games. She would go on and on..............

Good luck, it's not easy!!!!

·
Super Moderator
27,461 Posts
Bretta hurt her front 'wrist' (do dogs even have wrists?) last week and I've been in the same boat. Thank goodness she's 4 yrs old now, when she was 2 yrs old or younger I'd be a crazy person by now.

I've been resorting to 'fun food games'. By day 2 I woke up to the fact she's going to weigh 150 pounds unless I started working her meal kibble into it. So I cut back on her regular meal amounts, and then put it into her dog 'toys'.

Kongs with kibble/peanutbutter/water and FROZEN work well (out doors LOL). I also have this huge Buster Food Cube thing for them:

And the Purple Squirrel Dude toy/treat I LOVE. We have the large ones. Like a kong, only bigger and better for my smart girls. There are flaps over the hole so harder for them to get the treats out!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It's nice to see that other people have been in similar circumstances, I don't feel so bad now keeping him cooped up.

I completely forgot about swimming! I recently found an off leash swimming area for dogs. So I think next weekend I will take him there.

I will also start working on those mind games and obedience/show training.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts