German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bob and I have taken up Rally and he's doing great!
But we need to work on our lefts as they are a little sloppy, any tips on getting him in nice and close on them?

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
We're doing rally too!I taught a "go left" cue with a treat in my left hand close to his nose.He follows his nose and gets the treat after the turn.Eliminated the treat and he habituated to following my hand,and then just the " go left".I do lean my shoulder a little as I give the cue so that is probably a cue too.

Samson is great at it,me not so much,lol!For some reason the 270* turns make me dizzy:)

·
Registered
31,369 Posts
The dog is watching your body language. As you turn iwth your left foot, drop your shoulder. Do this stationary to start until it's second nature for you.

Once the dog is turning on your shoulder and foot, the as you turn your left foot, bring your right foot even with it and shift your weight to your right foot. You can't help but do so because it brings your body back even from dipping your shoulder AND it gives the dog a chance to finish his swing. Then off you go!

Try it in front of a mirror

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I just wanted to say that Asher and I are trying rally, too. We've only had two classes (attending our 3rd tonight), so I don't have any tips. But I'm following the thread with interest! So far, Asher is better than his handler.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Tight circle to the left. Start at a comfortable ready heal and keep decreasing the size of your circle till Bob is turning left virtually at the point he started at, around and around. Over and over. Lead with one foot or the other [prefer left]. Your body language is the signal, use the same motion every time. Move quickly at first, keep him focused so Bob doesn't have a chance to change the rhythm. Have fun.

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
I just wanted to say that Asher and I are trying rally, too. We've only had two classes (attending our 3rd tonight), so I don't have any tips. But I'm following the thread with interest! So far, Asher is better than his handler.
Lol,they are so much better than us!We had our third class Mon.
One thing I thought would be difficult is the left about turn #28.I gave the same hand signal as a finish right and he whipped around me like he'd done it a million times.Our dogs are awesome:)

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! That's a lot of great advice!

We are having so much fun with it. Between his rally and Wile E's agility we are busy busy busy! Which is EXACTLY what these two need.

I'm going to try those tips, we have no class this week with the holiday but next Sunday I'll see if I can get some videos of his progress!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to this board and new to rally! I signed my boy up for his first competition on Sunday. AKC rally novice A.
I have been scouring the internet for videos/tips. We have been practicing quite a bit so hopefully the distractions of the show don't overwhelm him!
We are planning on arriving early and letting him observe from afar then will crate him until just before he shows.
As far as the lefts, that is something we have struggled with. I just started working him on a book (front paws up) and just moving his back paws to re-position himself every time i move. He does well I just don't know how polished it will look prior to Sunday :)

·
Super Moderator
6,296 Posts
I am new to this board and new to rally! I signed my boy up for his first competition on Sunday. AKC rally novice A.
I have been scouring the internet for videos/tips. We have been practicing quite a bit so hopefully the distractions of the show don't overwhelm him!
We are planning on arriving early and letting him observe from afar then will crate him until just before he shows.
As far as the lefts, that is something we have struggled withh. I just started working him on a book (front paws up) and just moving his back paws to re-position himself every time i move. He does well I just don't know how polished it will look prior to Sunday :)
So how did you do?Our first trial is in a week and a half.Our biggest problem is me of course!Pausing too long at each sign"Uh,I know this one.Gimme a second."Lol!:|

1 - 11 of 11 Posts