German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working with my gsd puppy (16 weeks) and I’ve noticed leerburg comes up a lot on the forum. I’ve checked out their site. So be straight with me, as far as their training videos go, what’s the good, the bad, and the ugly? Which videos/clusters are worth buying? Attempting to train a schutzhund dog here.

Thanks in advanced!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
838 Posts
Anything by Michael Ellis will be worth the money. The problem with videos is that you don't always learn the reason why the training is being done a certain way and you don't get feedback about tweaking an approach for your individual dog, or why another approach might work better. But Ellis is a very good teacher and usually explains why he is doing what he is doing. Finding a good club with good helpers is the best way to go, but they are few and far between. IMO, there is a lot of poor training in the states.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I bought a Michael Ellis video series thing from Leerburg - I enjoyed it and he is a great teacher. Would love to see him in action in person

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
I got a lot out of everything by Michael Ellis, we did the interactive classes too. Huge improvement in everything on my end caused a huge improvement in my dog's performance. We don't do schutzhund. Competing in AKC, ASCA, WCRL, CDSP obedience and rally, as well as tracking and dock diving. The one video of his I've never seen is on dock diving and I am always meaning to watch it.

Seems like at least around here, a lot of the AKC obedience people are kind of lacking in teaching engagement. Can be a lot of compulsion and a lot of dogs slinking around looking miserable and I have no interest in doing obedience if that's what it is for us.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I love Micheal Ellis. But find that Forrest Micke a little more detailed. Tyler Muto works morelwer drive dogs, but often uses a different approach over marker training. Learning about the concepts of marker training firs time will really help.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Check youtube first. There are a lot of free videos from very good trainers. Stonnie Dennis is my favorite but this forum also recommends others.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
There is a lot to be learned from the ME videos. That said, if you are serious about IPG (that's the acronym of the month I believe) you should get involved in a club asap.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is a lot to be learned from the ME videos. That said, if you are serious about IPG (that's the acronym of the month I believe) you should get involved in a club asap.

I’m sorry, what are the ME videos?? I’m not extremely well versed yet on the topic. And I’m involved in one already. My pup is still fairly young. Only 16 weeks. Goal is bh by 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I think they are great, and I'll put my flame suit on here because even though their info might be great their delivery is insomnia curing. On video at least. I'd move mountains to do an in person with them, for sure.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
I think they are great, and I'll put my flame suit on here because even though their info might be great their delivery is insomnia curing. On video at least. I'd move mountains to do an in person with them, for sure.
Completely agree. I find myself doing a lot of fast forwarding in the videos. But I see why they do it. More info for average pet owners, a lot of stuff more advanced owners/handlers have already learned all the base techniques, so it’s boring to go through those parts on every video. The voice kills me though, so can I borrow your flame suit?

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
That was my reaction to ME. I watched one of his free videos and it was only a lecture. He never even brought a dog in so I didn’t get to see him handle a dog. Maybe the Leerburg videos are better, but I decided not to pursue it.

·
Registered
4,229 Posts
That was my reaction to ME. I watched one of his free videos and it was only a lecture. He never even brought a dog in so I didn’t get to see him handle a dog. Maybe the Leerburg videos are better, but I decided not to pursue it.
He definitely can be a talker. But I also think he isn't going to put out as much how-to for free...then why would you buy it. There is good how to with a dog by Michael Ellis out there.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Check out Ivan Balabanovs Pay per Train. He is the master, ME learned from him... I have some ME videos, and found them relatively useless if you know the basics. And nothing beats working with a good club or helper.

However, yes, if you do suffer from insomnia, Frawley's voice-overs could be your cure!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts