German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the first I've read about this. It is something to think about. It is making me rethink about some of the places my dogs choose to relax in.
https://www.cnet.com/news/is-technology-driving-your-pet-insane/

The photo is out on our patio after playing with the hose. A Walk, followed by Hose Play and then some Treats...life is good.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have led lights all over the house and the dogs do not give any hints of being bothered, Angel actively will watch TV with me and my wife. It honestly is the creepiest thing, she will turn her head at me if I change the station looking at me like "turn it back now".

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yikes, I'm guilty of leaving the TV on for G when i go out so he doesn't get lonely. G is like yours too, he hops up on the couch and will watch it for a long time.. he sat there watching all day when the puppy bowl was on.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Thanks for sharing this article, I also had no idea that dogs and cats were effected by these things! I did purchase an LED bulb for our dining area though, that's just off to the side of the kitchen and is dimmable, so it takes a special, dimmable LED bulb (most aren't). After installing that very expensive bulb however, I noticed that it flickers noticeably at any setting less than full power. And that flickering is unbearably distracting! After reading this article I'm definitely going to go through the entire house to make sure all LED lighting is over the 80 Hz rating!

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
Almost all the bulbs in my house are LEDs and I’ve never noticed any flickering. I’m glad because that’s the sort of thing that triggers my ocular migraines.

·
Super Moderator
5,914 Posts
Yikes, I'm guilty of leaving the TV on for G when i go out so he doesn't get lonely. G is like yours too, he hops up on the couch and will watch it for a long time.. he sat there watching all day when the puppy bowl was on.

I came in one day and Sage was intently watching Criminal Minds. I thought a show about serial killers can’t be that good for this dog, LOL, and changed the channel.

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came in one day and Sage was intently watching Criminal Minds. I thought a show about serial killers can’t be that good for this dog, LOL, and changed the channel.

Ha. I tend more toward Animal Planet but I think I'll just have Alexa play some music when I go out.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Almost all the bulbs in my house are LEDs and I’ve never noticed any flickering. I’m glad because that’s the sort of thing that triggers my ocular migraines.
It's only noticeable with the dimmable one. I don't notice any from the other bulbs, but I can't stand the thought that I'm maybe subjecting my dog to that!

Reactions: dogfaeries

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Hmmm. I had a GSD that unraveled inexplicably in his 4th year of life and had to be put down. Towards the end one of his triggers was electronics. he would whine and even nip at you when you went to plug in cell chargers and stuff. The day he punctured my sons arm in multiple places, my son was carrying a laptop that he was wanting to plug in, and a cookie. He dropped the cookie and my dog attacked him. He didn't go after the cookie, it was the nervousness set off by the clattering of the cookie.

He had been having mystery issues with his ears too. Head titling, shaking, digging his nail inside...with no infection or yeast. Totally clear. Vet had mentioned possible auditory hallucinations or incessant ringing in his ears.

Not saying electronics caused this, but he was definitely bothered by them in a visible way unlike most dogs. And it was only towards the end :(

·
Registered
7,733 Posts
I had no idea this would bother them they don’t seem to notice. It makes me feel bad when my smoke Detector ran out of batteries. It was going off every 5 minutes or so all night long. My ceilings were high and I had no ladder so we had to endure it till it stopped. Luna slept through it all but I can tell it bothered Max’s ears. Max went and he slept in my bathroom but refused to leave my bedroom. He could of went downstairs to catch a break. It was really loud their poor ears.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts