German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

A beginner question ... I have a 14 weeks long haired GSD puppy. Due to my work, I have to leave him alone at home during the day (usually had peed once at home). Before I could go during the lunch break to take him out for a pee, but not anymore. It's now 2 days that he is home alone for around 7-8 hours, but never peed. However he is on the edge when I come back home and should take him out right away and once he didn't even reach the block door and peed on the way down (live in an apartment).

Is it okay to do so?

Regards,

Shahab.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Do you have a friend or family memeber you could as to go over around half way though the day to let him out for you? If not perhaps hire a dog walker to come once a day while you are at work just to take him out for potty time and maybe a little play time?

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
:thumbup:

Do you have a friend or family memeber you could as to go over around half way though the day to let him out for you? If not perhaps hire a dog walker to come once a day while you are at work just to take him out for potty time and maybe a little play time?

·
Registered
479 Posts
He's too young to hold it that long yet. Like mentioned maybe a friend or family member.. If not a reliable pet walking service for a few more months. Your vet probably could recommend a pet service locally.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
There is potty pads or newspaper to relieve on at a young age if need be:), it happens don't sweat it, just train where they should go and they will:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the answers. The point is that he does NOT pee at all and I wouldn't be mad at him if he would (he is way too young to expect him to). I was more worried to kind of hurt him leaving him alone this long so young ...

·
Registered
121 Posts
It's actually pretty incredible that he can go that long at such a young age. I think that if he were hurting, he would probably relieve himself. Is he kenneled while you're out? If he's not kenneled, and he's not going in the house then I would just be amazingly grateful that you have a dog so easy to potty train.

The downside to having him push boundaries like that are accidents which set back training. Of course accidents happen, but you don't want him to get complacent with peeing on the way downstairs. That could get problematic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts