German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH and I are going to get our (new) wills done this month or next month. I want to set aside money for abused/neglected/homeless GSDs and for wildlife. I have an idea of the wildlife organization(s), but I am unsure about GSD rescue. There are two really wonderful rescues here in my area of Florida, but while many rescues are in fact nonprofits, it seems there are so few people running them that if they move, die, etc...the rescue could disappear. Any suggestions or insight?

·
Registered
381 Posts
A financial planner is probably the best resource for the details, but it does seem like you could set some terms in your will or establish something like a trust. Because there are 2 GSD rescues in your area that you would want to support, maybe the money could be transferred to the "survivor" if one shuts down or be given to a shelter or the wildlife group(s) if both disappear.

·
Registered
7,571 Posts
Our will is set up so that four charities are named, each receiving 25% of our estate. If any of them don't survive us, then the others share the proceeds of the estate. We've named a combination of local charities and a large international charity, so we're pretty confident that no matter what, someone will be there to pick up the check. Obviously, if something changes as time goes on, we can change our will.

So that's one way to do it.

Or, as mychance says, you could name one charity (Charity X), specifying that if that beneficiary doesn't survive you, then the proceeds will go to Charity Y, and if you wish, you can even stipulate that if Charities X & Y don't survive you, then Charity Z will inherit the proceeds.

I'm not an estate planner/attorney/accountant. But it's my understanding that either of these ways is pretty much how it's done. If you have another idea that is reasonable, talk to your attorney. It's your will, after all.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
I left my dog, Timber, to my breeder. She is great, and would take Timber back anytime. Actually, it is required in our contract.

Nonetheless, I left dollars for his medical care, and they increase as the dog gets older. I know what it would take for care, so that is the reason I will give additional money to my breeder as Timber ages.

I work with a rescue group and some might be upset by this comment. But I would never leave Timber to a rescue organization. Timber is a large, European bred male and is protective of my home and property. Good at large events, he is nonetheless a bit aggressive around my house with strangers.

My hunch is some rescue groups, because of insurance concerns, would have him put down, and that will never happen.

So if I die first, Timber goes back to the family he came from.

·
Registered
12,142 Posts
Rescues would not be upset by that Timber. In fact...we rescues always try to track down the breeder and ask them if they want their dog...when one comes into rescue.

·
Banned
2,415 Posts
Thank you for a very intelligent response. As for my rescue group upon my death they will also receive $$$. Why, because they have saved many dogs, and could use additional $$$.

On my end this one is a no brainer.

Again, I have said too much, be so be it.

·
Registered
14,509 Posts
Originally Posted By: Timber1The OP also asked about rescues, and I did comment.

Having a bad day???
OP said:
"I want to set aside money for abused/neglected/homeless GSDs and for wildlife." (bold is mine)

Who is it having a bad day?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts