German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Next week I'll be going out of town for a week. I am leaving Grissom (four months) with a dear and very dog loving friend. She has two grown Golden Retrievers whom Grissom plays well with. They are very friendly and always have a lot of fun. My friend has a very dog friendly house with a nice sized fenced yard. Here's my dilemma...this is the very first time I will be away from Grissom. It's just the two of us so we are pretty tight. I know this sounds so stupid (even as I'm typing it) but, I worry that he'll miss me. Any suggestions for helping ME get through this separation anxiety? LOL

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Just know that he'll miss you too, but since dogs mostly live in the "now", he'll have lot's of great fun times with Goldens and he is in good hands. I practically freak out if I have to leave Max for 2 hours, so I understand. :)

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
It's a shame, but there is no known cure for serious GSD addiction.

You just have to go 'cold turkey' for a week.

Good luck.

Oh - pup will be fine and thrilled to see you when you return.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sleep with a towel or blanket that you can leave for him. It will have your scent and he can use it for his bed. My friend and I do this with our dogs (we dog sit while on is on vacation) and the first time is always the most difficult. Once you hear he is fine and having fun, you will feel better. You are smart to start this so young!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for your reassurance. You made me feel so much better. I really appreciate your understanding!!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
I just went thru this myself. I was gone for exactly 10 days!!! I left Ava and my 2 shihtzu's at home with my hubby and kids.

I was so afraid that Ava was going to forget me. She is roughly Grissom's age and I figured that was too young to remember me. I called my husband every night and the first thing I asked was how was Ava doing and was she missing me.

I got home yesterday morning and you would have thought I was dinner or something. Full body wags and jumping in circles!! She remembered me and was soooo happy to see me.

After just going thru this, I can assure you that Grissom will be just fine and will most certainly remember you when you get back. Just call your friend every night and check on him.

After the first 3 days of my SA, I relaxed realizing that she really was in good hands and was enjoying herself and wasnt sitting at the front door whining for me. It helped me alot...I still couldnt wait to get home but I felt alot better about it.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks Leigh! It's so silly that I'm worrying about this, but I am!! I don't want him to think I've given him away! I know that is a ridiculous thought, but that's what I'm thinking! I need to get a grip! LOL

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I've always felt that the Hooligans do much better than I do when we're separated for vacations, etc. And I've never had one of any age forget who I am! In fact I've often been surprised when they recognize their breeders after a separation of a year or two, even longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts