German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long do you leave your dog at home/ crated? How long would you leave a 3 month old puppy crated? I may be starting a Sunday job and the puppy can't be left to roam the house as he'll chew everything up. I'm really anxious about leaving him to go to work all day.. Opinions?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Lisl has stayed in her crate up to 10 hours, but that wasn't the norm. Closer to eight or nine at a time if I couldn't get home for lunch to take her out.

If the crate is small enough and you manage her food and water properly, she'll hold it until you get home.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lisl has stayed in her crate up to 10 hours, but that wasn't the norm. Closer to eight or nine at a time if I couldn't get home for lunch to take her out.

If the crate is small enough and you manage her food and water properly, she'll hold it until you get home.
The most I've left him is 3 hours so I'm a bit worried about leaving him for any longer! How old was your dog when you left her for 8 hours?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Eight weeks.

I was cleaning up messes for about the first two weeks, but she learned and so did I.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Not always when she was that young. She started being able to hold it for up to eight hours when she was around 14-16 weeks if I managed her food and water properly.

She had accidents in the crate until she was around 16 weeks if she was in there for eight hours of more. She could hold it for up to six hours at that age so I desperately tried to get home for lunch most days during that period so she could relieve herself.

I never scolded or even mentioned the word 'potty' when accidents happened. I always used that word in a positive tone and only when we were going outside to potty. She equates that word now with going outside. And that word too.

I always ask her if she's ready to go outside and go potty, or I tell her we're going to go outside and go potty.

She is 100% housebroken now at seven months. She was actually housebroken before this time, but I don't know how long before. She has only recently had the run of the house all day long while I'm at work and she no longer has to have her food and water managed.

I wish you as much luck as I've had with house breaking. THis has been the easiest dog out of the five. She really 'gets it' and I was thrilled to death when it finally clicked with her. It was like watching this 100 watt bulb suddenly turn on behind those big brown eyes of hers.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I got my puppy when he was 15 weeks and he was in the crate over night since I've had him...so that is at least 8 hours (slept in on the weekends). He was fine. Puppies sleep a lot so he was probably doing that the majority of time while crated. Now on occasion (6 months old) I have to leave him for 11-12 hours during the day. Only twice a week, and some days my brother can come, but again, he is fine. I am investing in a nice outdoor kennel to give him some outdoor time. Honestly, I don't feel bad about leaving him crated because it is what I have to do, and I spend at least an hour or more with him before I go to work and at least as long when I come home no matter what the time.

·
Registered
154 Posts
My pup is in her crate 8 hours at night, and then 8am-12pm crated (then I come home to let her out), and 1-5ishpm crated. Has been that way since 8 weeks old. I havent yet left her during the day, but since I can go home at noon I dont see why not! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone! I won't be able to get home to let him out but I have my boyfriends brother living with us so I've asked him if he'd be able to let him out to toilet at lunchtime.. By the way, I got the job! Yay! I'll just be sad about leaving him all day :(

·
Registered
624 Posts
Thanks everyone! I won't be able to get home to let him out but I have my boyfriends brother living with us so I've asked him if he'd be able to let him out to toilet at lunchtime.. By the way, I got the job! Yay! I'll just be sad about leaving him all day :(

If you have to leave a dog alone all day, don't get one! A dog is not a cat and if you can't give full time to look after it, you shouldn't own one. And a dog is not meant to be cooped up all day in a crate.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Norman, so I should like quit my job, get welfare and foodstamps, not that anything is wrong with that if you need it, and be a stay at home doggie mom? I don't think so. I love my dogs and they are alone all day while I work. When I get home I'm all theirs and they are happy and healthy thanks.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Norman, so I should like quit my job, get welfare and foodstamps, not that anything is wrong with that if you need it, and be a stay at home doggie mom? I don't think so. I love my dogs and they are alone all day while I work. When I get home I'm all theirs and they are happy and healthy thanks.
I think exactly the same! Mines just a Sunday job whilst he's so little but eventually I need to go into full time work. People work and have pups otherwise the only people owning dogs would be the unemployed... Who wouldn't be able to afford one anyway!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
It's not about the crate time when you are at work... many of us have the same situation you do.

It's what you do WITH your pup when you get home. Hiking. Dog classes. Socialization trips. Planned out and implimented throughout the week.

:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's not about the crate time when you are at work... many of us have the same situation you do.

It's what you do WITH your pup when you get home. Hiking. Dog classes. Socialization trips. Planned out and implimented throughout the week.

He can't go outside yet but when I do get home even from just an hour out I make lots of time for play and training and just general fun for him. When he's able to be walked we'll be out and doing lots of activities and such :)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Of course not! German Shepherds though have considerable energy and you need at least two hours to exercise them every day. That's on top of an 8 hour job. And there's of course quality time spent at home with them. Since you have family, I think that makes it easier but it would be very hard on a single person.

·
Registered
624 Posts

It helps if someone can give a pup attention when you're away. If a dog is too demanding, consider a cat. You're right, its how you spend the time that you have left with your dog that's also important. People can hold down jobs and look after a dog but its less stressful if there is family to help pick up the slack.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Of course not! German Shepherds though have considerable energy and you need at least two hours to exercise them every day. That's on top of an 8 hour job. And there's of course quality time spent at home with them. Since you have family, I think that makes it easier but it would be very hard on a single person.
I have family who help and a boyfriend who is home every other Sunday. And his brother is home on the other Sundays so will let the pup out at lunch for an hour.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was worried about the same issue when my pup was 9 weeks. He is now 13 almost 14 weeks. He stays in his crate during the day for almost 7 hours. I play with him for two hours before work one on one. I know he sleeps while im gone and as soon as i walk in the door i let him outside and he runs and plays in the yard for several hours and still playing in the house when he comes in as well. My little guy is doing very well and is very happy. Although saturday and sunday i do not work but we all have little things we have to run around and do. I spoke with several dog trainers and even my vet and they suggest that they stay in there crate for a while during the day while they are pups because its apart of crate training and helps with housebreaking. I also am going to start taking him to the park tjis afternoon about two days a weel after work :)

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was worried about the same issue when my pup was 9 weeks. He is now 13 almost 14 weeks. He stays in his crate during the day for almost 7 hours. I play with him for two hours before work one on one. I know he sleeps while im gone and as soon as i walk in the door i let him outside and he runs and plays in the yard for several hours and still playing in the house when he comes in as well. My little guy is doing very well and is very happy. Although saturday and sunday i do not work but we all have little things we have to run around and do. I spoke with several dog trainers and even my vet and they suggest that they stay in there crate for a while during the day while they are pups because its apart of crate training and helps with housebreaking. I also am going to start taking him to the park tjis afternoon about two days a weel after work :)
Aww he's beautiful! I'm glad you commented as your pup is a similar age to mine! There will be someone to let him out for toilet at lunchtime but otherwise he'll be on his own. Every other day apart from Sunday I'm here though for now, and will be till he gets bigger and is able to be trusted in the house on his own, then he won't be shut away when I'm out and can have free roam :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts