German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

I'm hoping to get a puppy in late summer/fall if timing with the breeder works out...My last gsd passed over a year ago and was a month shy of 12 years. Ive forgotten a lot that I did since than but Im sure it will all work out one way or another( I always feel like GSD's know we have good intentions at heart and when we screw up training or whatever they can be so forgiving.

My question is what kind of collar and leash did you use for the first 6 months? What type of crate? When did you introduce a prong collar( I think my last dog was around 7 months if I remember correctly)

If I remember correctly I used a flat leather collar up to 6 months. Leash was a very lightweight leather single and than I switched to a german leather over shoulder 6 way police style leash( loved using that through out his life it was so multifunctional.
Ive used hunter dog leashes and I had an amazing elk leather dog leash i got when i was in germany). Any suggestions appreciated.
I also used a 25 foot cotton leash for recall around the house and in the yard or at the park when he was young.

Dog crates? What doyou preferand why? I had one next to my bed when he was a pup vari kennel style but that didnt last long and he slept on his dog bed tethered to my bed after he was a few weeks. I kept a crate inthe yard for emergencies but I have a dog run as well.

Thanks everyone.

I appreciate your suggestions. Im so excited to get a pup again( Ithought my grief would never end but my dog will live forever in my heart and I am sure will bring back some memories I forgot about when I get the pup)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
So excited for you and your new pup many new adventures ahead! It seems like it’s all coming back to you . Lol! For the most part I used a flat collar as a pup then around 7 months used the neck tech herm sprenger martingale prong collar. I bought a really large crate so I can always use and I like the wire crates. Just less constricting more airy we purchased from petco.
With max I got his crate on amazon it lasted till 7 months - the timing was good - merry products 2 in one configurable crate- cherry wood. This crate though had limited sizes. My favorite leather leash from petco a wine color. I still have and use a leather leash from my first gsd and that was many years ago. I like the wider leather leashes. I do have a really super thin leather leash from dean and Tyler but like the hold of a thicker leash. I like the cotton long leads a better grip but for the beach I use biothane long leads because of the sand factor they can get slippery when wet but i do like them better for beach runs. I like the dean Tyler harness for tracking and stuff you can use Velcro badges on it like in training. Those badges though I felt attracted more attention. With max I kept a crate near the bed and one in the kitchen. He quickly get out of the crate near the bed and only used that the first few weeks.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Congrats on the new puppy! I also switched to a herm sprenger martingale prong at about 7-months, though if we hadn't needed to, I would've just switched to a martingale collar or stuck with a flat collar. I really recommend Klin leashes - they have a German hunter style if you were happy with that style in the past.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I use a harness and 6ft leash for walks when little like eight weeks, 3 20 min walks a day now (14 weeks) we do 2 or 3 30 min walks a day. i want her not to pull and walk at my pace. i hope to never have to use anything with a spike on it....she does very good i just added the distraction of walking with her friend (whos mom lets her smell everything and maggie is not allowed)
we have a 30 ft leash for training stay, come. and walks at the park where i give her more room to roam.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone

I agree free play at this age and just being happy and enthusiastic around me is essential. Thanks for all of the helpful crate and leash suggestions....( especially for the beach).

·
Super Moderator
4,824 Posts
All I have to add is to notspend too much on gear for the pup. If you think back they outgrow everything except the water bowl during those first 6 to 7 months.

I also learned after my first pup to go ahead and get the extra sized wire crate. I didn't have to use the divider it came with. I just had to be diligent about the housebreaking routine.

I also used a harness for walks until 6 months. My gal-dog pulled quite a bit but she was trying to keep up with our big dog. My boy, as a pup, didn't have the self control to walk at my speed either. He was all about exploring. Training not to pull came at 6 months when he went to a prong collar. Today he still wears one for those occasional laps in judgement. My gal-dog can usually walk wearing just a fabric martingale but has a prong for those days when she just needs a reminder. It stops her from pulling hard enough to hurt her throat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts