German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 11 week old german shepherd puppy. We will start to take him out on walks in about a month, when he is 16 weeks old, and we want to train him to walk on the leash. However, whenever we put the leash, he keeps tugging and chewing at it. I have tried looking at videos to train him using treats, but nothing is working. What is the best way to leash train him?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Juno was about 11 weeks when I got her, and I just kept the leash on her most of the time inside the house (except in the crate). It gave me something to grab her with when I needed to take something from her or redirect her or take her potty. I think she chewed on the leash initially, but not for long.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Every puppy (two; it's not a large sample size) I've had has chewed and tugged the leash. I consistently said 'no' and removed it from their mouth. They pick up fast they're not supposed to do that.

·
Registered
137 Posts
When they’re still that young there is not a lot you can do until they start to find things more interesting than chewing on their leash. Once they start sniffing and exploring in the next week or two, they’ll forget all about the leash... then you’ll be asking how to get them to stop pulling on the leash :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Start with teaching the pup to follow at your left side with a treat on your hand held low in front of his nose. Do this without the leash. This is essentially beginner healing.
Once the pup learns to focus on you and the treat, you can go back to the leash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts