German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m a little confused on what is the best thing to do when it comes to teaching my dog to walk with a leash without pulling. She is only 3 months old. I’ve watched so many videos on how to do it. Should I be worried about that right now? I have teens too, and my husband, and everybody wants to walk her but they don’t do it the same as me. That has to be confusing for her. What should be the expectation at this age? Will it take awhile for her to learn to walk at this age? It seems, too, that when we get so far down the road she keeps stopping and wanting to go back home. In fact, when we start heading home she really starts pulling almost like she’s anxious to get home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I’m a little confused on what is the best thing to do when it comes to teaching my dog to walk with a leash without pulling. She is only 3 months old. I’ve watched so many videos on how to do it. Should I be worried about that right now? I have teens too, and my husband, and everybody wants to walk her but they don’t do it the same as me. That has to be confusing for her. What should be the expectation at this age? Will it take awhile for her to learn to walk at this age? It seems, too, that when we get so far down the road she keeps stopping and wanting to go back home. In fact, when we start heading home she really starts pulling almost like she’s anxious to get home.
GSDs are very, very smart. I have found that my dog walks differently with other people than he does with me. To me, that's enough.

Also, your dog is very young. You working with her will definitely translate as she gets older and calms down.

Of course, don't be discouraged if it gets worse before it gets better. A 6 month old GSD is a lot of work and it's not instantly rewarding my any means.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Remember you mentioned her being skittish about certain things ? What you're seeing is her nerves, she's uncomfortable in the outside surroundings. She wants to get back to her comfort zone. Walking on the leash with a young puppy, I generally have started earlier, but the same idea is how I'd think about it with yours, and that's to treat it more like exploring then going for a conventional walk. Walking is almost like a series of calling her to you in between sniffing around.

Maybe take her to some different places in the car and see if just hanging out watching helps her relax a little.See If she'll play or even just respond to a few bribes with a treat. Show her the world isn't scary. No pressure on her, see what she can handle and if it makes going some place fun for her.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great advice!! Thank you! I’m just gonna relax and enjoy her and continue to bond with her. We played hide and seek today. Lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts