German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3.5 month female GSD and. 5 year old GSD. I am hoping someone can give me some guidance on early leash training skills for my puppy. I admit, my older dog never got great on leash. She’s not terrible or anything on it, but if I jog with her on leash, she will pull sometimes. I can take her to public places on leash just fine, but she doesn’t exactly heel. We have always lived in rural areas and near off leash trails. She has excellent recall and stays in sight, so when leash training didn’t come as easily as the other things I was training, I kind of dropped the ball. I don’t want this to be the case with my new pup. What are some of the things you do at this early age to get a dog property leash trained? Also, if I take them on walks together and the older dog is off leash and the puppy in on leash, is this an issue?

·
Registered
5,126 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,126 Posts
I take one on leash and one off at home on our road.It's not easy for the leashed dog to watch the other one loping and trotting around at a dog's pace.Especially a young puppy!I would walk him or her alone at first then very short periods with the other one running free.A few more minutes every time.Distractions and duration in increasing increments.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I leash train by going on a walk. If pup pulls, I stop and calmly pull her back to position. We then stand there for up to 2mins. It's been going ok. We don't walk as much as we should, but I'm going to change that

Note: if you train that way, the object is NOT trying to get somewhere. It's to train. A 5min walk can take 20mins if your pup keeps pulling

You and the pup will get frustrated, but just stay calm. Your pup will start to figure it out

I've tried 3 different methods, and this method is working the best for me and my 5mo pup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you! I will look through the thread. I will try that method some more. I read through another thread in this section as well that was helpful. I think I just need to be more patient and intentional with the stop and turn around type training and definitely separate the two dogs during the sessions.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts