German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
We dont have dog parks as such in England, but where i live we have moorland where everyone takes their dogs, me and my friend go up there almost everyday, lots of dogs off lead etc, we have 8 between us who are all fine with other dogs, my shepherd is ALWAYS on a lead as he is questionable with other dogs, yesterday he was attacked by an off lead springer spaniel that ripped a gash under his eye, they said they knew he didnt like other dogs on a lead!!!!! so why was he off the lead free to attack my dog who was under control? they will be getting the bill of just over £100! i will attach a pic,,,,,before vet treatment and after.
And to think most people see breeds like that as loveable and gsds as monsters.
Bec

Attachments

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
The debate is mostly about the safety of the dogs and the reactions caused
by incidents we look to avoid, but distance and quickness can change in a heartbeat, and so public means risk is higher than supervised, which sounds then more useful, if available.

I visited a park a decade ago a few times, took a pass.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The park where we go now is about 9 acres of woods, with a trail that follows just inside the fence & nowhere to sit, so the humans walk the trail while the canines romp through the woods or walk the trail with their humans, or both. We've had very few negative experiences there. The parks that are more open, like playgrounds, are where we've had problems - perhaps because it's easier for an owner to just sit & ignore what's going on. I'm careful about when I go, also - weekday afternoons are great & there's a loose association of owners whose dogs mine like to hang with, but I avoid weekends like the plague. It seems like every unsocialized dog in the county turns up on weekends.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It seems like almost everybody has had a bad experience at a dog park at some point. I, for one, will now steer clear of these. Wayyy too many dogs with too many issues. More problematic is that owners choose to live with these issues rather than try to address it while other dogs suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
18,371 Posts
I am very happy you finally figured out that a good many, if not most, dog parks are not the best places to take your dog! You are the person responsible for insuring your dog's safety and if you had continued to visit this dog park and allow Sam to be hassled or attacked I would wonder what you were thinking!!

There are some good ones out there I am sure and maybe you will find one yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree. My puppy is 4 months old and gets beat up by the aggressvie dogs at the park. People bring there aggressive dogs and think its ok. Ive been nice about it but its getting to the point where Im just going to start writting them tickets!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I stay far away from dog parks...its like driving, you have to be on the defense and no one is going to protect your dog but you. So I just not to play there lol
I have found taking my dogs to our university/ college is great because they have a mile track walking thru campus. Its nice, no other dogs most days. Also we are lucky to have 150acre refuge so I take the dogs hiking where I know most people dont go or we go super early.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I try to stay away from dog parks. Some people are just careless with their dogs especially owners with small dogs.

·
Banned
5,921 Posts
I thought that today would be a good day to take Sam to the local dog park. I figure it was a nice bright day with new snow fall on the ground, why not leave work early and take him so he can play with other dogs.

Now this is the same park where all of the handful of "incidents" have occurred in Sam's life (he's a year now). The incidents all involved other dogs attacking Sam as he was a pup. None of them serious except for a patch or two of missing fur on his face.

Well today we're not there long before Sam starts trying to play with another dog his tennis ball. The owner commented that her dog is possessive with balls which left me wondering "then why play ball with him in a DOG park where other dogs might go for it?" I tried to keep Sam away but eventually they end up playing near each other and that's when Sam sees the ball on the ground. Sam goes to get it when the other dog growls and clamps down on his muzzle. Sam whimpers at first but then starts growling and wanting to go after the other dog. This is the first time that Sam has ever defended himself. We separate the dogs and I do a quick check. He's got a small patch of hair missing at the base of his muzzle with light blood. I also suffered some cuts on my hand as well when I separated them. The owner never once came over to apologize or ask how Sam was.

Why must I never learn that leash free dog parks always attract the most irresponsible dog owners??? I had stopped going for a couple of months but went back as I wanted to give him the opportunity to socialize.

Oh, later I ended up getting into an argument with her and her little "clique" of other "regulars" and her justification was that her dog is only 8 months old (which is worse!) and that having your dog getting attacked on occaision is just part of going to the dog park. :rolleyes:
Maybe you ought to borrow another dog from someone - a real dog park regular who is better at defending himself (I can think of a few dogs who would be great); and then go back to the park and wait for that owner and her dog!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding, of course, but it sounds like a good idea!!!! Some people!

·
Registered
80 Posts
We dont have dog parks as such in England, but where i live we have moorland where everyone takes their dogs, me and my friend go up there almost everyday, lots of dogs off lead etc, we have 8 between us who are all fine with other dogs, my shepherd is ALWAYS on a lead as he is questionable with other dogs, yesterday he was attacked by an off lead springer spaniel that ripped a gash under his eye, they said they knew he didnt like other dogs on a lead!!!!! so why was he off the lead free to attack my dog who was under control? they will be getting the bill of just over £100! i will attach a pic,,,,,before vet treatment and after.
And to think most people see breeds like that as loveable and gsds as monsters.
Bec
Oh my goodness, that is horrible! Your poor boy, I am so sorry. I hope he is doing well.

I had thought about taking my pup to a dog park, but after talking with a few people on this forum I was starting to reconsider. This has let me make my decision; my dog will never be going to a dog park. I don't want my boy getting hurt due to the recklessness of over people, I'm sorry you all have had to experience that.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I thought I would post an update pic of Sam with his dog park "battle scar".

We will definitely not be going back to that dog park or any for that matter. Too much stress. For his dog socialization we will continue taking him to doggie day care once a week. At least there they screen each dog for aggression and he always has a great time there.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts