German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ryker had a play date today, he mostly kept to himself and barked at her from afar but generally they were just happy to ignore each other. BUT when I put him on a leash he would snap at her. I would correct him with the leash and he would calm down. He also tried to pull this snapping stunt inside and she snapped back, and he left her alone and shut up. I'm worried that when he gets bigger he's going to hurt a dog. I have puppy classes Saturday and I'm worried that I'll be kicked out because of his behavior on the leash towards other dogs. Any suggestions? :/

·
Registered
112 Posts
My best suggestion would be next puppy play date try letting your pup drag the leash. Mot sure if this would have much effect but hope it helps.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Correction for a fear response could be terribly wrong for a pup. There are many more experienced people here to offer more advice, but I would find a different playmate to start, maybe an older gentler dog who is used to pups, and IMHO I wouldn't drag a leash due to the potential for catching, etc.

Also, you might try the LAT game with the dog before actually playing again. But correction for a fear response can aggravate the fear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Correction for a fear response could be terribly wrong for a pup. There are many more experienced people here to offer more advice, but I would find a different playmate to start, maybe an older gentler dog who is used to pups, and IMHO I wouldn't drag a leash due to the potential for catching, etc.

Also, you might try the LAT game with the dog before actually playing again. But correction for a fear response can aggravate the fear.
The dog he was with was very well behaved and is around other dogs all the time. She tried to play with him but when he didn't, she left him alone and did her own thing. It was only when he was in the house that he decided to be a jerk towards her, and she put him in his place. He wasn't hurt at all, but then didn't jump or try to nip her. My trainer told me to take him on a walk and if he encounters a dog from afar, to say "look at that big boy!" and reward him. Kinda skeptical, but I'm gonna try it for Rykers sake.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
That sounds good--your trainer is right. :) If you feel sure that the older dog is appropriate for him, maybe try it again? Sounds like she handled it ok. I would just progress slowly, and reward him for calm behavior. If he snaps, he might be over his threshold.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That sounds good--your trainer is right. :) If you feel sure that the older dog is appropriate for him, maybe try it again? Sounds like she handled it ok. I would just progress slowly, and reward him for calm behavior. If he snaps, he might be over his threshold.
Thanks for your quick response :) it's nice to have some reassurance. I shall keep this thread updated on his progress. My trainer has been wonderful, and told me to call her anytime I need help. Between her and this forum, I think I'll do alright hopefully haha

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I have 13 week old male that is cut out of same cloth as your pup. We go for walks with 8 year old Hena-C female and 11 month old male. He is always attacking them, to point he pulls tuffs of hair out of older female. Yesterday she went a little further then the warning growl and shook his little butt up. He yelped for about 15 seconds, then he settled right down and occupied himself with some stick in the woods. I expect that behavoir to die on the vine now that he has learned the consequence. Her correction was similar to what I would do if he bites me like that....he needs fairness and firmness when he is doing something that will definitely cause him or you harm in the future. JMO

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
Why do most people think the idea of correction (strong & firm) for unwanted behavior is a bad thing??? Why is everything positive and rewarded?

*I would never reward my child for NOT behaving inappropriately...but I WOULD correct them if they did....

Just a simple question...nothing personal.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts
I think it depends on the why of the behavior.

If I give the dog a correction for something they are afraid of - they see a flag waving and back up, then bark at it, that wouldn't make a lot of sense would it?

But another dog or a human - same thing to the fearful dog as the flag, but often interpreted differently BY US. They get a correction.

Now a dog that is definitely not fearful, being a bully, etc, after they learn what they are expected to do, could get a correction. It could be a verbal, or moving them away, physical, etc. But nice to try to teach them first, and can be done in some dogs without need for correction. Actually, in some dogs, no correction will work, so you have to learn to go about things differently.*

So if no need for a correction why do it? Just a simple question, nothing personal!

And w/puppies, I tend to give them benefit of the doubt, for a few months at least, similar to adult dogs and work to shape in a positive way. Puppies seeing new things for the first time, over and over, new things...it would be nice if all took it well, but probably not all can/will.

*typically not GSDs, who want to work with you regardless. I learned what I do from working with Chow mixes who typically are not biddable and do not care about corrections enough to change their behavior. And now that I know how to do this, I try to because if it works with them, it can work with anyone and it works SO well. And my natural inclination is to do things too harshly so this helps me not to do so.

·
Registered
5,452 Posts
I agree Robin.....as long as its fair and firm, it is still the most effective way for puppy to learn....just like mother dog does with puppy depending on the reason. You cannot take some extreme use of a method and discredit the method.....I see people do that all the time. Firm and fair has worked for me for countless years and i would put my dogs behavoir up with anybodies as proof it works.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts