German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old barks sometimes at other dogs and strangers. And when I have her on a leash walkin her she get's really distracted by them and barks. And when there close she barks even more and get's scared and sometimes lunges. How do you stop this and how do u go about it? I tell her no but she's not good at listening to me when there are distractions just yet.. I automatically want to pull back on the leash when she barks but I know that's not right. what can I do?

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Are you in any classes? I would start there and let your trainer know you need help with reactive/fear stage. Redirecting your pup before the behavior begins works, timing is crucial and you cannot correct the pup when she is reacting. Build her confidence and have her look to you so she see's that you are the one controlling her world, she can then relax and not have to feel like she needs to "protect" her world. Your body language and feelings go down the leash so keep everything positive and happy. Don't tense up on the leash, she'll feel that and her excitement level will raise. Loose leash, turn around and briskly walk the other way, ignoring her behavior.
Bring high value treats or a toy that she loves on your walks and use them to get focus back to you BEFORE she starts up.
The book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt has exercises that help.
Also Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas is a great way to notice how our dogs are reacting and showing body language
Turid Rugaas - Calming Signals Community

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you in any classes? I would start there and let your trainer know you need help with reactive/fear stage. Redirecting your pup before the behavior begins works, timing is crucial and you cannot correct the pup when she is reacting. Build her confidence and have her look to you so she see's that you are the one controlling her world, she can then relax and not have to feel like she needs to "protect" her world.
Bring high value treats or a toy that she loves on your walks and use them to get focus back to you BEFORE she starts up.
The book Control Unleashed by Leslie McDevitt has exercises that help.
Also Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas is a great way to notice how our dogs are reacting and showing body language
Turid Rugaas - Calming Signals Community
No im not in any classes and not planning on it. I will be teaching her everything on my own.

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Classes are irreplaceable for socializing in a structured setting. Not saying you can't train on your own, but it really helps to at least get a puppy in one or two sessions of structured obedience with other dogs and people. Good luck and happy training!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Classes are irreplaceable for socializing in a structured setting. Not saying you can't train on your own, but it really helps to at least get a puppy in one or two sessions of structured obedience with other dogs and people. Good luck and happy training!
she get's socialized good. we have free puppy socialization class here where I live so I'm not worried there. :)

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
How does she behave in the puppy socialization class? Is it only large dogs she reacts to?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does she behave in the puppy socialization class? Is it only large dogs she reacts to?
Fine. Yes she's terrified of dogs larger than her. If there not that big she will still bark like crazy but her tail will be wagging

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you clicker train? There are videos on youtube that may help if you do.
Yes I clicker train. did you have a certain video on youtube in mind? I have seen video's from a guy named tab that I enjoy but he doesn't have any for this kind of situation :/

1 - 9 of 9 Posts