German Shepherds Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Gotta love sables! I know I do. They’re always changing like chameleons, and will even look different according to lighting and never stop changing. She’s really cute, and on the lighter end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Coming up on 12 weeks. I wonder how dark she might get over time. I heard the color at the gland on the tail is an indication but also thought I read maybe not. I dont have the color of her when she was born. As posted earlier. Mom was Sable and dad Panda (piebald). Still not sure if dad was mix or not. Thinking DNA test in future only because I'm interested. It doesn't really matter though. Funny thing is I have an old school vet from TAMU who even makes home visits. She is not familiar with GSDs and thought she looked like coyote mix. Lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Coming up on 12 weeks. I wonder how dark she might get over time. I heard the color at the gland on the tail is an indication but also thought I read maybe not. I dont have the color of her when she was born. As posted earlier. Mom was Sable and dad Panda (piebald). Still not sure if dad was mix or not. Thinking DNA test in future only because I'm interested. It doesn't really matter though. Funny thing is I have an old school vet from TAMU who even makes home visits. She is not familiar with GSDs and thought she looked like coyote mix. Lol.
I think a better indication of how dark the tan will be is the color behind her ears. It might be the exposure of the picture but my GSD was a lot darker at that age. Her sire was a dark sable and her dam was a black and cream. My dog got darker as her guard hairs came in but it never stuck pass 7 months. By the time she was 1 yr old, she had already patterned out and really lighten up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts