German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to learn more about working line bloodlines - mostly just because I'm curious about my own dog's genetic history. Are there resources out there for newbies who have a casual interest in tracing a dog's pedigree and knowing what types (personality/traits) of dogs are in the woodpile? I've found the pedigree database website which is cool, but doesn't tell me much more about the dogs than their ancestry and titles.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
You really either have to have firsthand knowledge of the dog's in a pedigree or second/third hand knowledge from some one who handled the dog or knew the handler. This is the rare person who has made international connections with high level dog handlers as well as seeing or working with dogs as police prospects from lines containing dogs with desirable genes that are genetically dominant. So you need accurate knowledge from people in the know as well as how dogs in a line have produced since there is no guarantee that great dogs are good producers. Someone like Cliff, who I haven't seen around for a while, is an invaluable resource. The other option is to find breeders in the states who have developed their own bloodlines and know the dogs in a pedigree and how they have produced. They have selected dogs to develop dogs for what they want to see in a breeding. Most breeders just breed two nice dogs and hope for the best.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You could always post your dogs pedigree here to see if anyone knows anything in regards to those particular lines. Some lines are more well known than others.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was afraid it might be the kind of thing where you just know.

I don't have an AKC certified pedigree or anything, but I do have his papers with his sire and dam listed. And their links on this website:

Sire's Pedigree

Dam's Pedigree

If anyone does have any sort of knowledge about the dogs listed in the pedigrees I'd be interested to hear it for curiosity's sake.

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
A lot of it is just things you pick up the longer you are active in the breed - either making connections about similarities to dogs you see worked (asking owners "who is s/he out of?" and looking up the dogs). I ask lots of questions at my club to my TD and to my breeder, trying to obtain information about past dogs. It's interesting to see opinions of the same dog differ depending on who you speak with (Yoschy vd Döllenwiese, for example).

I'm still new, so I won't comment on the dogs in your pups pedigree. I recognise kennel names and some individual dogs based on going through other pedigrees and a few things I've been told/read, but can't quite tell you much about the dogs themselves. Mostly DDR with some West German in there.

Camilla is a good breeder (imo). I like her dogs. A shame I'm on the other side of the country as I'd love to visit and meet her.
Link to a sibling for those that find it easier to compare:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts