German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe how patient my dog is... I have tried everything to wait him out and praise him when he "speaks". He barks at other dogs and I say "speak" but he's to focussed on what he's looking at to listen to me...

I've tried blowing in his face (lightly) just to get the little noise out (don't really like doing this one) and then praise him when he makes the noise but nothing is working - stubborn or just really really patient

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
LOL we see this thread a lot lately it seems. When I was teaching Shasta to speak, I actually had to bark at her. One trick that has worked for others is getting the dog frustrated. Example would be withholding a toy the dog favors and mark when they make a noise for it. Doesn't have to be a bark. A grumble. You work your way up to the bark. Make sense?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im trying to teach my pup to speak as well and not having much luck... all the other tricks he knows he picked up within a day but this one is proving a challenge! :)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
LOL we see this thread a lot lately it seems. When I was teaching Shasta to speak, I actually had to bark at her
Yep, thats what I did too! :rofl:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! I gave up for a little while but ill tackle it again in the morning. Did the triangle of temptation with his food tonight and he was barking a bit. Might be able to use that to my advantage :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts