German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand when people tell me my PUREBRED German Shepherd is in fact, not pure. There's no way he can be, he just doesn't look like a German Shepherd. Even after I tell them that his parents are 100% purebred stock coated GSD's...they still question me. He looks pure GSD to me. I don't get it. Just cause his coat is a bit longer...?? It's a gene people. And then to think i'm still lying about my dog being purebred? hey....why doesnt the next person to question his purity try and mess with me..then we'll see how 'pure GSD' he is. ;)

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i never understand why people get upset because someone
says something about their dog.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I don't think it's because people say something about the dog, I think it's because people like this are ignorant to different genes in dogs and are questioning your intelligence by not listening to a possibility that it's true.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Some people ask if my dog is pure bred. Yes he is, but I guess they don't see mostly black german shepherds around. It doesn't bother me.

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
Well, I guess why does it really matter what they think? I got my dog for me, not for anybody else.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
someone has to say something about the dog in order for someone
to be upset. someone is questioning another intelligence because of
a possibility what is true?

i never understand why people get upset because someone says something about their dog.
>>>> I don't think it's because people say something about the dog,<<<<

I think it's because people like this are ignorant to different genes in dogs

>>>> and are questioning your intelligence by not listening to a possibility that it's true.<<<<[/QUOTE]

·
Banned
377 Posts
A lot of people like to flaunt their knowledge when, in reality, they are exposing their ignorance .... or just being rude. You have to let it roll off and let them go their blissful, ignorant way.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is only 13 weeks and even fluffier in person.You wouldn't believe the breeds/mixes I hear some people come up with.

March 29, 2013 by Gator_Dog, on Flickr

Mostly wolf/husky mix. :p
Oh goodness, she is something else Alexis! :wub:

I have heard the wolf/husky mix as well. :crazy: Carma definitely looks wolf like at her age right now! She is soooo friggen cute. She is for sure a LC huh?! :D Mine is soooo fluffy right now...he's gonna blow his coat soon.

Some people ask if my dog is pure bred. Yes he is, but I guess they don't see mostly black german shepherds around. It doesn't bother me.
Alot of other dog breeds come in different colors/patterns, so it's crazy to think that some people think GSD's don't? LOL.

I don't think it's because people say something about the dog, I think it's because people like this are ignorant to different genes in dogs and are questioning your intelligence by not listening to a possibility that it's true.
Yep, I dont care what people say about my dog - He's perfect to me, and I love him. But people's ignorance....and then questioning me...like im lying or something, is what bothers me. LOL. I'm not upset, just more....dumbfounded, I guess is the word.

Just think if you had a sable long coat. Or a floppy eared black long coat. :) :)
LOL true. Sables must get so much questioning!

Well, I guess why does it really matter what they think? I got my dog for me, not for anybody else.
It doesn't :) I got him for me as well. I just get irritated when people continue to question him being a purebred even AFTER I say he is. Like a long coated GSD doesnt exist.

A lot of people like to flaunt their knowledge when, in reality, they are exposing their ignorance .... or just being rude. You have to let it roll off and let them go their blissful, ignorant way.
Very true :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
I get the same thing with Stella! Especially since she is a sable! Am I the only one who gets asked what's wrong with her ears or if I have had something done to them?! It makes me laugh to see how many people havent grown up around dogs and don't know different breeds besides labs!
1364757435809.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
I once found a chocolate bird dog. Put a found ad for Lab/bird dog mix in the paper. Come to find out he was a solid liver German Shorthair.
Lesson learned that even dog-savvy people don't know everything. I had no idea GSPs came in solids.

Now when people comment on my shepherd/collie mix, I take the time to teach them about sable long coats.

·
Registered
14,034 Posts
You have two choices when someone expresses doubt about your dogs heritage.

You can either spend a few minutes politely teaching them the differences there are in the breed.

OR

You can say "WHAT-ever!" and walk away.

My choice depends on the mood I'm currently in and the attitude of the person telling me my sable long coat GSD is NOT pure bred.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I get it all the time from people. I usually give one, short explination and if they still don't get it, I walk away. My SIL's Husbands' Brother stopped by for a few hours to pick something up for her. He's never seen Finn before. He spent a hour telling me how there's no such thing as a WGSD and they are all just mutts and so on and so forth. I just nodded my head while inwardly rolling my eyes.

I usually just ignore them.

·
Registered
15,982 Posts
It helps when I remember that the first I knew about long coated GSDs was when I bought a lc pup. I began learning about color patterns & different coat types then. Ancient folks like me grew up with Rin Tin Tin forming their image of a GSD. If it doesn't look like Rinny it must be something else!
With the late barker sisters (both long coats, one thin and dark, the other more standard pattern but barrel chested) I had fun discussing coats & colors with people.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I don't get upset, but it bugs me to. Its not what they think of my dog, its their constant need to sit there and argue with me about MY dog. I'm all for educating someone and talking to them. I am not, however, for sitting there as they want to keep arguing.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Okay, so the other day this guy REALLY didnt know what he was talking about.

He said "wow her ears healed really well!"
Me, "What?"
"they cut the ears to stand like that you know",
and I told him, "no, most german shepherds ears naturally stand, they just popped up like this and were not cut, sometime it takes them awhile when they're pups but mine went up fast - they didnt need to be cut so they werent"
and he literally said "THAT YOU KNOW OF"
and I was like WOAH DUDE. I know my breeder didn't cut her **** ears, when I got her she was floppy eared, as a breed the gsd doesn't need their ears cut to stand.
It was soooooo mindboggling.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I never knew there was such a thing as a LC GSD until I got my first one, Tasha. Have had three LCs (all whites) ... and YES ... I had a lot of people question me about them ... even my regular coated whites get comments from folks who never heard of a WGSD.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts