German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

This is my first time on the board so please go easy on me.

We recently added a new member to the family, his name is Frank and he's a shepherd/lab mix.

When we received him at 8 weeks old he weighed in at a whopping 10lbs lol. Fast forward 2 & 1/2 months and he's at 35lbs. I started him on the BB Wilderness Puppy formula and he seems to be doing well (stools are usually formed with an occasional soft one here and there). Main problem is I didn't realize there was an actual LBP Wilderness formula and I'm scared I might of already set my little dude up for failure.

I spoke with a BB rep and he recommended switching to the LBP formula. I asked him if it would be fine to just jump right into adult food and he said that we should continue with puppy formulas for developmental reasons and that they're designed to stop too quick of growth. He also said to switch to the BB Freedom because it was less rich and should be easier on Frank's stomach. I went to there website and composed a spreadsheet comparing the guaranteed analysis for the LBP and LBA formulas in both Freedom and Wilderness. Basically both Freedom and Wilderness formulas were around the same when comparing puppy to adult. Freedom clearly has less protein as the rep stated, but the Freedom LBA was significantly lower in the calcium/phosphorus levels. Also, the adult formulas don't have DHA and what not listed for development but they have things like glucosamine and stuff for their joints.

Given that he's been on the normal puppy food for almost 3 months should I go to adult food or stick with a LBP formula? I definitely want him to have all benefits of developing with puppy food but I don't want him to grow too quick and have skeletal issues.

Also, should I go to the Freedom or stick it out with the Wilderness? I'd say 85% or more of his stool seems fine and the other 15% is soft.

Hopefully you kind/knowledgeable folks can point me in the right direction.

Sorry for the long post and thanks for your time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,126 Posts
Since your pup is doing well on the BB Wilderness even though it is for a small pup I would just switch him over to the LBP Wilderness for the large pups. But do the switch gradually so his tummy gets used to it. I think 3 months is a little young to switch him to adult food. I waited until 18 months but I have read posts where others switched at 6 months.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,050 Posts
All my puppies are switched to Adult food by 8 weeks when they are ready to go home to their new owners. Puppy Food has high protein (27-30%), which promotes fast growth, which results in Pano issues (growing pains) in many GSD's. They need slow growth. They will mature to their genetic size, it just may take a little longer to get there. But, that is better than having reoccurring issues with Pano, multiple trips to the vet's office, xray's, and pain and inflammation medications, which are synthesized by the liver.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,202 Posts
All my puppies are switched to Adult food by 8 weeks when they are ready to go home to their new owners. Puppy Food has high protein (27-30%), which promotes fast growth, which results in Pano issues (growing pains) in many GSD's. They need slow growth. They will mature to their genetic size, it just may take a little longer to get there. But, that is better than having reoccurring issues with Pano, multiple trips to the vet's office, xray's, and pain and inflammation medications, which are synthesized by the liver.
Yes, that was my experience!
My only concern with adult kibble is it can be higher in calcium and phosphorous that LBP kibble which may also cause fast growth, pano problems.

OP, your pup is old enough to switch to adult/all life stages kibble instead of LBP then switching again in a couple months imo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,920 Posts
All my puppies are switched to Adult food by 8 weeks when they are ready to go home to their new owners. Puppy Food has high protein (27-30%), which promotes fast growth, which results in Pano issues (growing pains) in many GSD's. They need slow growth. They will mature to their genetic size, it just may take a little longer to get there. But, that is better than having reoccurring issues with Pano, multiple trips to the vet's office, xray's, and pain and inflammation medications, which are synthesized by the liver.
How about feeding a 50/50 mix of adult and puppy formula?
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top