German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All my girl does is lay around the house. She does not want to do anything but sleep. She gets up to go potty and back to the carpet she goes. She sleeps the whole day and whole night. Does anyone's senior do this. This is nothing new, she's been like this for a long time. And if my other dog bothers her, she snaps at him. She is quit bitchy these days. She is like sleeping beauty. Lazy lazy girl.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How was her last check-up?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has had other medical issues. Cancerous tumor, which was removed, arthritis. But overall, she is just old. She has about 10% muscle left in her backend. Been trying for long time to gain muscle there, but no luck. She is just almost bone on her backend. She is on Rimadyl. She will be 13 this month.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Have you had her since she was a pup? 13 is doing pretty good. My malamute use to like laying on cement all day in his old age.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I hate calling a senior "lazy" when there's a good chance that a medical problem/s may be involved. What does her vet say ... does he have her taking any medications to help with her arthritis pain or did her dr find something else besides the arthritis that may be causing her not to be active?

GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My parents have a 12 year old lab, she's old and slow and has lumps and bumps. Personally, I think they've earned their rest and can sleep as much as they want. A comfy bed, food, water, love, and just enough exercise to keep them happy is all they ask for.

I'd enjoy the time you have left as she's in her golden years :)

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
All my girl does is lay around the house. She does not want to do anything but sleep. She gets up to go potty and back to the carpet she goes. She sleeps the whole day and whole night. Does anyone's senior do this. This is nothing new, she's been like this for a long time. And if my other dog bothers her, she snaps at him. She is quit bitchy these days. She is like sleeping beauty. Lazy lazy girl.

Buddy is 11 and has arthritis and he is very much like this. I can coax him around the yard twice a day and occasionally to cuddle or to play with one of the other dogs but most of the time he just wants to sleep.

·
Registered
31,710 Posts
I like what Shade said. I think your dog isn't lazy; she is just old and doesn't feel good.
Exactly. When Banshee started sleeping a lot 6 months ago, we blew it off as old age. Then last week she was diagnosed with a brain tumor after a grand mal seizure and sleeping a lot is one of the symptoms. ugavet2012 made a comment on Banshee's thread about old age not being a disease.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just tease her that she is lazy. I know she is old and tired and we are ok with that. I'm not trying to change who she is. :) she is on Rimadyl, and vet has found nothing wrong with her. She will be going back to vet again in 2 weeks for another checkup. I take her to vet ALOT!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
I just tease her that she is lazy. I know she is old and tired and we are ok with that. I'm not trying to change who she is. :) she is on Rimadyl, and vet has found nothing wrong with her. She will be going back to vet again in 2 weeks for another checkup. I take her to vet ALOT!

That's totally where we are with Buddy as well. He as been to the vet several times this last year and had two senior panels. She hasn't been able to find anything wrong but he just does not seem ok to me.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Wile e made it to 14.5 years, pretty good for an extra large dog. I remember him laying in the driveway and a little bird was hopping around taking some of his hair for its nest. He woke up, looked at it and went back to sleep. Lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lol! Silly bird!

Well now Allison is frantically shaking her head! I do believe she has an ear infection. Looks like docs appointment will be sooner than planned. :)

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Well just got back from the vet. Allison has a softball size mass in her abdomen. Not sure what it is. Tests to follow.

OH NO, I'm so sorry ... I hope and pray it's something that you and your vet can figure out what it is and that it's not serious. Whenever I hear the word mass it scares the crap out of me!!!

:hugs: :hugs: ALLISON :hugs: :hugs:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts