German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 5 month old GSD her name is Izzy and I've had her for a month now, my problem is she kinda lazy for example my children and I try and play ball with her a few times a day and she just dosn't seem interested she will fetch the ball maybe 3 times if were lucky and then plop down on the ground and totally ignore us lol. I haven't had a puppy in 10 years so I can't remember if this is normal or not but I thought puppies were suppose to be playful.. Do you think she just dosn't find playing ball fun and I need to try another activity to get her motivated??

·
Registered
618 Posts
Baron would play outside in the heat if you let him until he has a heatstroke. I went through something like this with Baron. He just didn't like certain bones kongs ect. His fav back then turned out to be the nylabone for pups, then it was his rope. Now he loves the kong, who knows. I say buy a couple other items and see if one clicks.

·
Registered
27,249 Posts
Welcome to this great site and the wonderful world of GSD's!!
Have you had a vet check, or vaccinations done recently?
She may be teething and not feeling well because of it. What are you feeding her? One last question: Is she motivated by food/treats? Get the family to be exciting and fun, have treats in hand while you play. Tug type toys(soft leather, rope)are fun, but be careful with new teeth. Most dogs here love the cuz toys, balls with "feet". BTW, I love her name!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Originally Posted By: honeybee1978Hi! I have a 5 month old GSD her name is Izzy and I've had her for a month now, my problem is she kinda lazy for example my children and I try and play ball with her a few times a day and she just dosn't seem interested she will fetch the ball maybe 3 times if were lucky and then plop down on the ground and totally ignore us lol. I haven't had a puppy in 10 years so I can't remember if this is normal or not but I thought puppies were suppose to be playful.. Do you think she just dosn't find playing ball fun and I need to try another activity to get her motivated??
Never give up- she may be going through growing painns- although I have never had a pup NOT drive my nearly batty with the desire to play.............. If it keeps up (1 week) , please consult a vet to rule a health issue out ..........other than that , try swimming in ponds, kongs, tennis balls, soccor balls, basket balls (Roxie pops them)
stuffed animals, (we use this fly-ball thingie that you toss between 2 people- ) drives Rox nutty..........
Everything is worth a try- keep it safe!

·
Registered
964 Posts
My pup was reserved at first. Also he HATED balls but loved sticks. Two months ago he discovered balls and has totally forgotten sticks (silly boy).

If your pup is like mine enjoy the quiet time because when it is over it will be OVER. My boy is insane, like a caged animal. A five miniute rest will totally recharge him. I have lost 7 pounds tring to wear him out. (and I thought I was in shape before he arrived).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:where do you live? maybe it's just too hot outside?
I live in michigan and it's been in the high 70's to 80's, she still acts this way even in the morning when it's cooler..

Quote:Have you had a vet check, or vaccinations done recently?
She may be teething and not feeling well because of it. What are you feeding her? One last question: Is she motivated by food/treats? Get the family to be exciting and fun, have treats in hand while you play. Tug type toys(soft leather, rope)are fun, but be careful with new teeth. Most dogs here love the cuz toys, balls with "feet". BTW, I love her name!
She has been to the vet recently we just did her last round of puppy shots on Monday and she was spayed 2 weeks ago, so she may still be sore. We feed her Iams large breed puppy food.. We have been teaching her some basic commands and were using the treat method. I never thought about using treats when we play ball, I will have to try that thanks.. Thanks for the ideas everyone..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts