German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
She's gorgeous and great job with the training! I also have a monster with the biting me when getting treats so feel your pain! Love her attitude with the wagging tail!

The things that I know help me when training is small and SOFT treats! So my pup swallows them fast and we don't get distracted with all the crunching and chewing. Cut up hotdogs and cheese work well in a pinch.

I also work hard at only giving the command once and then letting the dog think about it. Using a clicker is a HUGE help for me cause I tend to chat and praise and give commands numerous times and praise and chat and snap fingers and and and and which is VERY distracting (apparently :) ) to my dogs and makes the sessions not go as well cause of the added confusion.

The clicker is MUCH clearer to my pup cause it only means one thing 100% of the time (unlike my voice blah blah blah blah). THAT was perfect and here comes the treat!

Your wonderful, clearly intelligent and happy dog would catch on to clicker training incredibly fast and I think you would be amazed how much faster all this training progresses...

Clicker Training: Marking Your Dog's Successful Behavior

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! The trainer we go to doesn't use clickers, which is why I haven't even tried it. Your suggestion re: treats makes so much sense (doh!). I switch types of treats a lot to keep her on her toes.

We have issues with her wanting instant gratification and me repeating myself. It's my doing. (It was good for me to watch this and see it myself.)

I'll take a look at the videos you posted. We are always looking for ways to improve! I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
I have myself videotaped when training all the time cause otherwise I will SWEAR I'm doing it right.........then I watch myself and go 'whoops, that's not what I thought I was doing at all!'.

Clickers ROCK cause when doing it right, teaching initial behaviors, we aren't supposed to talk much (at all?) so the pup can use it's own huge intelligent brain without all the 'noise' we humans add to the session. And because if we click we must give a treat (plus there are NO negatives to inital training, they either do it right and earn the click/treat or don't do it and earn..........well earn NOTHING!) we can't mess up our puppy cause the worst that happens is they get a treat when we click the wrong thing!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts