German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This stinker has one last stubborn tooth. May need to get it pulled. Done some aggressive tug sessions with no help of budging it. Vet said they can pull it when she gets spayed but I reminded her Mei is only 7 months. They will be emailing me some quotes. Glad I have pet insurance! Well, hopefully tooth extraction is covered lol.

Should I wait it out another few weeks? She turns 7 months in 3 days.

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a 6 mth old and her puppy canines were still in when the adults emerged. The two top became loose after giving her frozen meaty bones to chew on and I was able to gently manoeuvre them out.

However the bottom ones were stubborn and in the meantime her adult lower canines were coming through on the inside next to the lower puppy canines, subsequently as the puppy canines remained the adult canines slowly grew and the bottom canines were making indentations in the roof of her mouth.

I had to take her to a orthodontic veterinarian to have the lower puppy canines removed and had an acrylic plate fitted to force the lower canines into the correct position.

That cost me over £1000 and if I had the puppy canines pulled earlier, it would have cost a heck of a lot less.

·
Registered
6,769 Posts
Shadow had one that was stubborn. It did fall out on it's own, it just took it's sweet time.

We gave her tugs, and tried wiggling it with no success and about the time I was getting panicky (Shadow is at serious risk if I need to put her under) out it popped one day.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I used to work for a breeder, and one of their young bitches had double canines when I first met her. I was just a teenager, and never really asked about it, I just thought she was the coolest dog ever LOL! But the baby tooth did finally come out of its own accord...

Given what @Gwyllgi said above though, it would certainly be a good idea to watch it closely to ensure that it's not shifting the adult canine out of place! Or even have an orthodontic vet take a look...

Reactions: Sabis mom

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I checked it after work today and it's at least a little loose now. May get her a bone tonight still. Been focusing my tug pulls on the baby canine side and seems to have loosened it a tiny bit. Not as worried as I was.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Made an appointment for the vet to check out the tooth. It is still in but broken now. I'm a little worried about infection in tooth going into her gums. Doesn't look infected but would feel better if a vet checked it out.

The vet two weeks ago recommended if it is still in by the time she gets spayed, vet will take it out. Recently made the decision to wait until she's full maturity to get spayed, so gotta get this tooth taken care of.

Dumb stubborn tooth!!

·
Registered
248 Posts
My girl also had 4 canines at the same time (2 baby, 2 adult) for a long time, maybe several weeks. But they went on their own.

I wouldn't try to pull it on my own or try to force it by a tug game.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts