German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its getting to the point where i really wished i trained kai on recall earlier. But due to issues i couldnt.

Kai is good on recall in the garden and house but its outside with distractions

Im going to buy a long dog lead and take him to a park early in the morning so its empty and teach him there with the lead trailing on the floor.

lead!; im looking on ebay and im not sure what size to buy, 10,20,30,40ft?! also a tracking lead or webbing? ill paste links here

30ft Long Dog and Horse Training Lunge Lead Webbing | eBay

Dog Training Tracking Lead Long Line Lead 10m 15m Recall Obedience Hunting Prey | eBay

Kai is 1. Im planning on calling him and if he doesnt come ill tug the lead then treat him when he comes.

Then ill drop the lead and do the same thing.

I'll be using normal training treats

anyone got any more advice for me? im planning to go to the park at least twice a week and spend an hour there (i know its long for a dog but i'll bring a ball/football(soccer for the americans XD).

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
High value toys or treats, and be peppy. Don't repeat anything more than once and don't even say his name if you know he's not paying attention. Running in the opposite direction can help.

More than 20ft at least. The rest doesn't matter.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Restrained recall. Have a harness on him and someone holding him back, really "fighting" him and getting him worked up. You call him, the second he pulls against the harness they release and he should shoot to you. Then treat treat trwat and reward like mad when he gets to you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Also after you call, RUN. When he reaches you a couple treats and then RUN. Couple more treats, RUN. Then stop and treat and praise. Its now becoming a very rewarding game. You are engaging him and becoming more enticing than his environment.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Also after you call, RUN. When he reaches you a couple treats and then RUN. Couple more treats, RUN. Then stop and treat and praise. Its now becoming a very rewarding game. You are engaging him and becoming more enticing than his environment.

If you use this method, be sure to fade it fast. I know a few dogs now in classes who are dependent on having someone to chase in order to come and will not come to a stationary human.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your advice, I like the idea of someone holding him getting him 'wanting' to come

Anyone got any more advice

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
I like to do restrained recalls as well. You can see one at the end of this video with my puppy. I also like to play two ball, where I throw the ball in one direction and call her back by using the other ball as a reward. I believe that's also in this video.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So today was kai's first time on recall training, I used a 100ft lead :). we went to osterly park which is just a massive park with a lake running all the way round, its full of dogs and joggers

There was a group of dogs including 3 gsds, i went over and said hello, they persuaded me to let kai loose to play with the dogs, i was so nervous but i did it!! first time ever of the lead in a park, He did well stayed with the other dogs, and did come back after a few calls.

We then went off on our own i attatched the 100ft lead on and let him do his own thing, i called him and treated when he came, if he did not come i would slowly jog back, this got his attention and he came running

It was a good day and we both enjoyed ourself. gonna try do this twice every week :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts