German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do you guys have any studies on Laser pens causing dogs to have OCD? I tried googling it but I couldn't find any good sources. Please and thank you

·
Registered
772 Posts
It's definitely not a good idea. Some dogs get overly obsessed with the light and it can progress into other negative behaviors. Look up Canine Compulsive Disorder (CCD). I found this article: obsessive-compulsive behavior

You can also look up things like "shadow chasing".

Hope this helps.

Kristina

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i'm trying to convince a friend that maybe playing with her dog using a laser pen because it's funny isnt' such a good idea and I want some hard evidence.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
A while ago a woman named Nicole Cottam, or something like that, asked for participants in a study she's doing on OCD behaviors in gsds. She's at Tufts U- you can read about the study if you go to their site

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A while ago a woman named Nicole Cottam, or something like that, asked for participants in a study she's doing on OCD behaviors in gsds. She's at Tufts U- you can read about the study if you go to their site
ok thanks. She has a pit bull I don't know if the breed matters, but she said he knows that the light comes from her hand I just don't want him to develop OCD

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
The study included gsds and terriers from what I remember-- looking at tail chasing, things like that. I'll see if I can find the original post, it included an article about the study

·
Registered
27,206 Posts
Just doing a google search will bring up experiences with laser pointer warnings. Some dogs are ok, others completely whacked when a laser is introduced. I googled it long ago to prove my point about them(a thread with a "rescue" selling them on their site for profit) there isn't any study that I could pinpoint. The one mentioned above is still ongoing and asking for more dogs to participate.

·
Registered
24,301 Posts

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks guys!!

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
ok thanks. She has a pit bull I don't know if the breed matters, but she said he knows that the light comes from her hand I just don't want him to develop OCD
If you were in Indiana, I'd say you're friends with my roommates. They have 2 pit bulls and use the lazer light. Their dogs are OBSESSED with it. They literally climb the walls chasing it. In their case its because the owners are too lazy to exercise their dogs themselves, so they sit on the couch and use the lazer pen.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts