German Shepherds Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
If you want to go grain free, I believe (not positive though) Earthborn Holistic has an appropriate calcium percentage for a large breed puppy. Plus I'd feed it long before I ever gave TOTW a shot for any dog - puppy or adult.

I know there's another grain free that sable recommends that you can feed to puppies. I forget the brand, but I think it's annamaet. You might want to double check with him though. I know the ingredients looked good.

And of course there's always orijen. That's a grain free that you can feed to puppies.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Personally, I'd love to be able to move up to TOTW, but can't afford it quite yet. We've fed Diamond Naturals since Panzer was a young pup. He's done well on it, but I'd like to go grain free too. TOTW is about $20 more than Diamond Naturals, for 10 pounds less. I realize that 10 pounds is probably grain, but just not sure how far the TOTW would go.
I would be a happy pig in Michigan because I love all the value brands out there.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
If you want to go grain free, I believe (not positive though) Earthborn Holistic has an appropriate calcium percentage for a large breed puppy. Plus I'd feed it long before I ever gave TOTW a shot for any dog - puppy or adult.

I know there's another grain free that sable recommends that you can feed to puppies. I forget the brand, but I think it's annamaet. You might want to double check with him though. I know the ingredients looked good.

And of course there's always orijen. That's a grain free that you can feed to puppies.
Annamaet Salcha is the most affordable of the three. 30/16 low ash.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
Annamaet Salcha is the most affordable of the three. 30/16 low ash.
Where are you finding it for cheap? I just did a quick search around the websites that I use and that food looks like it's going for about$60-$65 for 30 pounds which is around what I pay for Orijen. Just wondering where you're finding it for cheap incase anyone wants to buy some.

I do see the earthborn holistic chicken grain free going for about $38 for 28 pound bags which seems like an absolute steal.

http://www.waggintails.com/p-9621-earthborn-holistic-primitive-natural-grain-free-dog-food.html

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I understand about the kibble size and the wolfing it down but just figure there are ways around that. I put water in the food and feed more small meals. You can also use the bowl with the bumps in it and you can also use a feeding ball or throw the food all over the floor. Just figure that the more options you have...........

·
Registered
7,782 Posts
Has she had larger kibble sizes before? I've seen some dogs that do better with smaller kibbles BECAUSE they aren't much for chewing. Rather than actually chew the larger kibble, they STILL want to do minimal, if any,chewing so they are constantly choking/ gaging on their food.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts