German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, my local food merchant was generous enough to give me a bag of TOTW Grain free for Kira. I was in between foods, and he offered to let me see how she likes it.

She loves it.. HOWEVER, I'm very much aware of it's deficiencies, and do intend to change.
The grain free food gave me immediate results with firm stools, no more flatulence, blah blah.

However, she loves it SO MUCH, that she doesn't even chew it. I thought I was crazy, but she devoured her meal in a minute. She literally licked it up, without a single chew of a kibble.

Since she likes TOTW, but TOTW is not the most recommended, what would be the closest kibble to TOTW, but with larger bits?

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Why does the kibble size matter? Chewing kibble does not really do anything for the teeth.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does the kibble size matter? Chewing kibble does not really do anything for the teeth.
OK, wasn't sure if it matters or not. I'm applying some human logic to the equation. :)

What I'm finding is that Kira's appetite is voracious on the TOTW, and I'm attributing it to having something to do with hocking her food down, and not having a satisfactory chew experience :)

I always felt that dogs needed to satisfy their urge to chew.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
I dont think so dogs bolt their food as quickly as possible. ........ they are not really designed for chewing, just crushing and tearing as in small bones. .. if you have ever watched one eat a leg quarter it is a pretty fast operation.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont think so dogs bolt their food as quickly as possible. ........ they are not really designed for chewing, just crushing and tearing as in small bones. .. if you have ever watched one eat a leg quarter it is a pretty fast operation.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I won't have to watch Animal Planet this evening :)

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
TOTW is great food. nothing wrong with feedin that...I feed high prairire formula most often, but switch it up among the TOTW flavors

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
If you go with TOTW, you might want to choose the Sierra Mountain (lamb based version) as it is lower in calcium/phosphorus/protein than the other versions...and would be more appropriate for a puppy.

·
Super Moderator
16,483 Posts
Well if you want to go grain free - Diamond makes both Natural Balance and TOTW.
NB LID (single protein, grain free) is closer to the numbers you would want to see on calcium etc. though you hear it may not be as single protein as suggested so I think the recallissue a few years ago had to do with a NON LID formulation, not the LID.

......... I am happy with Fromm and it does have grain.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
The size of the kibble and the speed a dog eats are related to bloat risk.

Naturally, a large kibble allows the dog to eat without ingesting so much air and slows the dog down dramatically. Large pieces are much more natural for a large dog to eat.

These two factors are among the few that have survived the original conclusions of the first Bloat Survey.

Labradors are the worst at this and a very large kibble like Royal Canin slows them down better than anything I have seen.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
TOTW is great food. nothing wrong with feedin that...I feed high prairire formula most often, but switch it up among the TOTW flavors
Yes there is a problem with feeding it to a large breed puppy - it has too much calcium. I believe even they (TOTW) will tell you that.

And it being a great food is just an opinion and definitely not shared by everyone especially considering who their manufacturer is.

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Yes there is a problem with feeding it to a large breed puppy - it has too much calcium. I believe even they (TOTW) will tell you that.

And it being a great food is just an opinion and definitely not shared by everyone especially considering who their manufacturer is.
We don't agree on much, but on this one we do. If you feed this because of the low ticket priced be forwarned, it might be a horror show.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd suggest many of you go back, and read my original post. I did say that I was aware of the issues with TOTW, and intended on switching foods.
Duh!

·
Registered
111 Posts
U could try Innova Large breed puppy ! really good food , no grain , and low calcium / phos. under 1% !!!! my EnZO lovin it !

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I'd suggest many of you go back, and read my original post. I did say that I was aware of the issues with TOTW, and intended on switching foods.
Duh!
Sorry, "I'm aware of the issues" could mean you're aware of the calcium issue, it could mean you're aware some people don't like Diamond, it could mean you're aware of alien invasion at the plant. . . could mean a lot of things. ;) There just aren't very many grain-free foods that are suitable for puppies.

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
Sorry, "I'm aware of the issues" could mean you're aware of the calcium issue, it could mean you're aware some people don't like Diamond, it could mean you're aware of alien invasion at the plant. . . could mean a lot of things. ;) There just aren't very many grain-free foods that are suitable for puppies.
Smarty :)

It means all of the above.. That TOTW is not the preferred food.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Personally, I'd love to be able to move up to TOTW, but can't afford it quite yet. We've fed Diamond Naturals since Panzer was a young pup. He's done well on it, but I'd like to go grain free too. TOTW is about $20 more than Diamond Naturals, for 10 pounds less. I realize that 10 pounds is probably grain, but just not sure how far the TOTW would go.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts