German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve made the switch from Fromm to Victor’s, and the dogs all have large stools now. Except Seiran, she’s still on RX food until she starts eating on her own. Anyway, the dogs stools went from a little larger than a thumb on Fromm, to almost the size of my ankle. Like super big turds. Overfeeding? More filler in the food? Their coats are becoming dull as well. No weight gain, or loss, so I’m thinking maybe just too much unneeded ingredients in Victor’s?

We made the switch because we were not getting Fromm on time through petflow, but Chewy has always been reliable, but they don’t offer Fromm products.

·
Registered
10,085 Posts
The body ejects the junk.
Less junk, smaller stools.
More junk, larger stools.
The coat is the first thing to go when the body doesn’t get enough nutrition.

Reactions: JonRob

·
Registered
342 Posts
I switched from Extreme Athlete to Victor Performance and like what I see. Just the opposite of what you describe. Smaller harder stools, coats improved. Have they been on it long enough to judge the transition?
And what works for some doesn't work for others. If you've given enough time and aren't happy, follow your instincts.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We haven’t gone full on yet, we are about 60/40. 60 on the Victor, 40 on the Fromm. Didn’t want to flood a food change. Maybe that’s the problem. We started on the 19th of September.

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
Which Victor are you feeding?

·
Super Moderator
6,133 Posts
I feed Carly the beef and rice, which is very similar to the senior. I rotate Scarlet between the beef and rice and the professional. Got some great poops over here, and great coats too. Carly looks fabulous for an old spayed girl, and Scarlet is very shiny. They’ve been on Victor for a long time. Scarlet won’t eat Fromms. She refuses every time I buy it. No clue why. I also add a little bit of sardine, chicken or an egg with each meal. (And for those wondering if Scarlet is still a fat girl, I have definitely gotten some weight off her since the dog show!)

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
I have tried some different dry foods and have noticed a big difference in coat. My dogs seem to look the best on the Fromm foods so I am just sticking what they look the best on. I add fresh meat or dehydrated patties more or less depending on the different forumulas that they are on to up the protein. They get raw once or twice a week. Sometimes you have to try different things to see what works best.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Hi pro plus was one of my early attempts when starting with Victor ( before the blood meal change) to find something two GSDs and a young Aussie would eat and do well on they ate ok IMO but seemed to have more poops...not larger just more often and more of it...even though the high pro has more protein/fat to me they seemed more lethargic I'm guessing their digestive systems couldn't assimilate it maybe??.....in the end Ocean Fish formula worked best for us...then along came the blood meal change to Victor food...we now have two Aussies and a female senior GSD we adopted from the SPCA who was severely under weight...so at this point after Victor started using blood meal only one of our dogs the young male Aussie ( Jake ) eats and does well on the "new" Victor formula.....my goal was to have all the dogs on the same brand AND formula of kibble....but it clearly wasn't meant to be...lol

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I’m thinking of just switching back to Fromm and having an extra bag handy in case petflow messes up again. Chewy can get food to our door 2 days after ordering. Petflow takes up to 5 days, and that doesn’t include weekends, so depending on what your autoship date is, it can be up to 8 days before you see the food delivered.

I’ve also noticed they get a weird bloated look after eating. It’s not stomach bloat, it’s all around the rib/chest area. Goes back to normal size about 2 hours after they eat. I was thinking of switching to pro plan, which is available in store if we run out for any reason, but DH said we are at our budget limit food wise, so there goes pro plan.

Does anyone know how long an unopened bag of food stays good for before it goes stale? We go through 2 33lb bags per month, 2 puppy, 2 adult of the Fromm.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
Victor Hero Canine has been the best food I’ve ever offered mine.

They’ll pass excess food as much as what’s not needed in the food. I feed my 1 year old almost 5 cups per day. I feed my 6 year old about 4 cups per day and my 11 year old about 3 cups per day.

My one year old has much larger poops than my 11 year old. Would make perfect sense, right?

Most importantly, all three dogs have beautiful coats, bright eyes and no adverse reactions, like eye **** or ear scratching - typically, food allergy reactions.

I fed Fromm over two years ago and couldn’t get a hard poop out of any of my dogs. None of my dogs were overwhelmed by it.

Anyway. To each his own. The best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on.

I’ve just been thrilled with Victor.

·
Banned
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They also have awful smelling gas, which they didn’t have before adding in Victor’s. They probably had gas, it just wasn’t so noticeable because it wasn’t smelly with the Fromm. Which sucks, because they all sleep in my room!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts