German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read from many sources that Large Breed Puppies do well on Adult formula, so I decided to switch from Blue Buffalo Large Breed Puppy Brown Rice and Chicken Recipe to the Adult Wilderness Salmon Recipe because I wanted to switch him a grain free formula, and I also think the fish oils from the Salmon recipe will do a lot of good for him as well.

He's about to turn 10 months, and he's been on the adult formula for two weeks.

With that said, I was at a pet store today, and they just got the Large Breed Puppy Wilderness as a new product, and now I'm wondering if I should switch him back to the Large Breed Puppy formula now that a Large Breed Grain Free formula is finally available.

Here are the specs between the two:

Adult Salmon:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 34.0% min
Crude Fat 15.0% min
Crude Fiber 6.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.3% min
Phosphorus 0.9% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.3% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.0% min

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog

I noticed that the label does indeed have a feeding guideline for a large breed dog, so I've made the assumption that Calcium / Phosphorus ratio should be in safe territory for a large breed dog.

Large Breed Puppy:

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein 37.0% min
Crude Fat 14.0% min
Crude Fiber 6.5% max
Moisture 10.0% max
Calcium 1.2% min
Phosphorus 0.9% min
DHA* 0.1% min
Omega 3 Fatty Acids* 0.5% min
Omega 6 Fatty Acids* 2.5% min
L-Carnitine* 100 mg/kg min

*Not recognized as an essential nutrient by AAFCO Dog Food Nutrient Profiles.

What's everyone input?

Should I go back to the Large Breed Puppy Wilderness for the next two months and then go to the Salmon recipe when he turns to be a year, or is all this a gimmick, and I should stay on the Salmon Adult recipe?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am a bit concerned that this large breed puppy food doesn’t meet the current recommendations (aimed at reducing risk of developmental orthopaedic disease(DOD)): 0.7 - 1.2% DM calcium (your food has 1.2%minimum so it could potentially be higher), <12% fat on a dry matter basis.
The most critical period for development of DOD is before closure of the growth plates- 12 months in normal dogs. Growth plates of very large-giant breeds can remain open until 18-20 months.

Are the specs you provided on a Dry matter basis? And do you know the energy content?
You should be aiming for about 3.5 kcal (14.6 kJ) ME/g DM

There doesn’t seem to be that great a difference between the adult and puppy formations in that brand, but I would definitely keep him on the puppy food as the adult calcium content is too high. It sounds like you really don’t have another option if you want to keep him grain free.

Is that at all helpful?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am a bit concerned that this large breed puppy food doesn’t meet the current recommendations (aimed at reducing risk of developmental orthopaedic disease(DOD)): 0.7 - 1.2% DM calcium (your food has 1.2%minimum so it could potentially be higher), <12% fat on a dry matter basis.
The most critical period for development of DOD is before closure of the growth plates- 12 months in normal dogs. Growth plates of very large-giant breeds can remain open until 18-20 months.

Are the specs you provided on a Dry matter basis? And do you know the energy content?
You should be aiming for about 3.5 kcal (14.6 kJ) ME/g DM

There doesn’t seem to be that great a difference between the adult and puppy formations in that brand, but I would definitely keep him on the puppy food as the adult calcium content is too high. It sounds like you really don’t have another option if you want to keep him grain free.

Is that at all helpful?
That's what I'm thinking.

I'm worried about the calcium phosphorus ratio since they don't display maximums.

However, when it comes to grain free formulas, there is no other choice no matter the brand unless I buy Orijen online which has even higher minimums, but maximums are displayed at least.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
there's several grain free brands available.

That's what I'm thinking.

I'm worried about the calcium phosphorus ratio since they don't display maximums.

>>>>> However, when it comes to grain free formulas, there is no other choice no matter the brand <<<<<

unless I buy Orijen online which has even higher minimums, but maximums are displayed at least.

·
Registered
766 Posts
i just started my 8mo old on adult food and shes doing well so im sure youll do fine

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm strongly considering going with the BB Wilderness for LBP. Currently Atlas (4 months old) is on Fromm LBP Gold. He's doing very well on it but would like to go grain free as well. I think it's too soon to go adult but that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
874 Posts
we do the BB large breed puppy and I'm staying with that for awhile. You are always going to get different opinions about EVERY food you mention here. Just go with your gut. I had to stop driving myself crazy with this and spent an hour with my family owned for YEARS pet store owner. We went through labels and ingredients and blah blah blah and we decided for MY dog the BB large breed puppy was the way to go for now.

EVERYbody on here has an opinion on dog /puppy food. Just depends on who you want to listen to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use Avoderm Large Breed Puppy, which is wheat, corn and artificial colors free. She's getting her coat is coming in below the puppy fuzz which is very soft and glossy.
We also have firm back yard presents, vs the original formula we had her on which was Blue Large Breed (semi soft, a lot of white specks from getting to much of something.) My understanding which my vet and I spoke about, was feeding adult before they reach a year old is outdated and was the nest option before large breed puppy formulas were available. He actually wants me keeping her on a lbp till she's 18months.

Edit* Planning to also try out a little coconut oil too, which reading up should help even more with coat. Need to do more research before I do though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
we do the BB large breed puppy and I'm staying with that for awhile. You are always going to get different opinions about EVERY food you mention here. Just go with your gut. I had to stop driving myself crazy with this and spent an hour with my family owned for YEARS pet store owner. We went through labels and ingredients and blah blah blah and we decided for MY dog the BB large breed puppy was the way to go for now.

EVERYbody on here has an opinion on dog /puppy food. Just depends on who you want to listen to.
My gut feeling is go to the LBP Wilderness formula for the next three months to finish off his bone development, and then go with the Salmon recipe once he's officially a year old to be on the safe side.

Even though maximums for calcium and phosphorus levels are not displayed on their food, I'm going to place my trust that this company is ethical and are not in business to harm dogs.

·
Registered
61 Posts
We use the LBP Wilderness formula as well. I've never even considered switching to adult food yet but I would wait until you feel comfortable switching.

This food gets a 5 star rating on all of the review websites so I think even if there is a "better" food out there, this one is still pretty darn good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had Shadow on BB large breed puppy food and she enjoyed it fine and she seemed to do well but was having loose stools and some diarrhea. I have read and heard from others that it is a relatively common problem with BB, so watch for it. Also Shadow starts to smell strongly of fish on food with fish as the primary protein content, so I won't be doing BB salmon recipe any time soon :p

·
Registered
874 Posts
Roxy has had perfect poops on the BB LBP -- the only time they are loose is if I think she's telling me she's starving and up her portion..so then I cut it back and they are fine again.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
My vet said don't feed puppy food or grain free to a growing puppy. My puppy got pano and it went away after switching to 22% protein adult BB dog food.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Normal puppy food is too rich in calcium for large breed dogs, and it may cause joint issues.

Traditionally, you would just feed adult food instead, but in more recent years large breed puppy food has been on the market too.

Oh, right. Aye, I read an article about that somewhere. I always make sure I get large breed puppy food without corn or soy and not too much calcium.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts