German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about switching Bo to TOTW, because he still has loose poop with the BB that I have had him on. I don't think TOTW comes in a formula for large breed dogs, which my vet said he needed. I see a lot of you use TOTW, do you not worry about the large breed issue?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nope ... I've been feeding TOTW since I got educated by this forum that dog food is not JUST Dog food. The kibble is in small pellets, DJ gobbles a mouthful at a time. Every two or three days I mix in a can of which formula I'm feeding at the time and I can't get the bowl on the floor fast enough.
No worries ... :D His coat has gotten shiny and soft, I could be a spokesperson !

·
Registered
966 Posts
I rotate all the grain free,TOTW,Orijen,Wellness,Evo..... He's 14 months,92 pounds ( been between 89-92 pounds since 8 months old),very nimble and muscular-no problems at all-physically. Been doing this since 6 months old. He always gets a couple of tablespoons of table scraps mixed in for fun. He had a difficult time adjusting to grain free at first-lot of dia/soft stool for a month or so but that is long gone.

Sometimes people overfeed grainless,resulting in dia or introduce it too quickly or simply don't give the dog enough time to adjust.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
if hes done growing, TOTW, or any grain free food is fine.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
TOTW is a food formulated for all ages and breeds so really shouldnt have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I second that it depends on if he is done growing-

Despite what ToTW SAYS, they are NOT an appropriate all-life-stages food, especially for a large breed puppy. The calcium/phos levels are much too high.

If he's grown, then it should be absolutely fine. Its what I fed Mulder before I switched to raw, and he was doing good on it.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, at almost 11 mos. do most of you think I should wait, how much longer to start him on TOTW? Not sure when he'll stop growing!

·
Registered
877 Posts
Patti, I think its up to you. 11 months is very close to the edge of what I would consider "grown", so if you decided you wanted to go ahead and try ToTW, then it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal. Its all about what you're comfortable with at this point.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Patti, I think its up to you. 11 months is very close to the edge of what I would consider "grown", so if you decided you wanted to go ahead and try ToTW, then it probably wouldn't be too big of a deal. Its all about what you're comfortable with at this point.
i agree. at 11 months, there isnt much skeletal growing left to do, more filling out/adding muscle.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
So, at almost 11 mos. do most of you think I should wait, how much longer to start him on TOTW? Not sure when he'll stop growing!
Wait until at least 18 months to start with the TOTW. I'd personally wait until 2 years to be safe, but that's me.

Is Orijen LBP an option for you? They have a nice grain free specific to large breed puppies and still a great formula - low in calcium which is what you want for a growing pup.

·
Banned
15,195 Posts
i've never fed puppy food or LBP food.
i'm always switching brands of can food
and kibble and i don't do the gradual switch.
i also feed my dog chicken, raw ground beef,
fruit, veggies, rice, millet, quinoa, raw egg,
fish, table scraps (depending on what they are).

·
Registered
3,863 Posts
i'm always switching brands of can food
and kibble and i don't do the gradual switch.
Did you always feed your dogs a combination of kibble and whole foods?

It seems like when my guys (puppies) were eating just kibble, one brand, their stomachs were more sensitive to changes in diet. Now that they eat kibble, canned, and fresh meats & vegs., I don't worry too much about a gradual switch, they seem to tolerate it all really well. (They're 3 & 3.5)

I'm starting to wonder if it's better to expose a pup to more types of food rather than less...or do puppies just have more sensitive stomachs?

·
Registered
877 Posts
While not all LBP or puppy foods are created equal, they are NOT just some marketing scam.

Once again, I reference calcium and phosphorus levels in the food. Most puppy foods are formulated to meet the less than 1.5 calcium, less than 1 phosphorus percentages. Foods who claim to be "ALS" rarely meet these requirements, as the levels are MUCH too high. Too much calcium in particular can lead to abnormally fast bone growth, which of course can lead to some seriously unnecessary joint/bone pain in a growing puppy. To make matters worse, many foods do NOT list these levels, which I'm guessing leads people to assume that they really are "formulated for all life stages." They are not! The over 2% calcium in ToTW, for instance, is MUCH too high. Personally I make my cutoff for "grown" at 12 months, but holding off for longer certainly doesn't hurt your puppy. Your much worse off switching too soon, than too late. At least in my opinion.

Thus I highly recommend sticking with a puppy formula or an ACTUAL ALS (I believe Origen's 6 Fish meets this criteria) for growing puppies.

Here's a source, in case anyone feels they need it:
http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/health/skeletaldisease.htm

·
Registered
12,442 Posts
At 11 months old, your puppy should be perfectly fine switching to Taste of the Wild.

I would not go with your vet's opinion that he "needs" a "large breed formula" food as an adult. First, most German Shepherds are not a "large" breed of dog, but a medium breed of dog. Second, most brands of foods that offer a "large breed formula" of their adult foods seem to be more interested in spending money on advertising the different types of formulas (and charging you accordingly) than actually providing a quality large breed food. Like LisaT said, most only differ from their regular adult foods by having more grains. Or bigger pieces of kibble.

Personally, I would not be comfortable feeding a puppy over 7 months old a "puppy" formula food anymore, I'd go to adult. I definitely wouldn't keep feeding it until 18+ months.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I agree with Chris - you should be fine switching to TOTW now. I've had Lancer on TOTW since he turned 6 months. We use the salmon and the bison formulas.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts