German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought my big boy home today. He had TPLO surgery yesterday due to a CCL injury months ago. He also tore his lateral meniscus ligament. He's doing very well so far. I'm a little overwhelmed with the therapy I have to do with him personally, but I'll take this one day at a time. Think he's glad to be home.

A little "out of the crate" time.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
poor guy!!! he still looks happy though! he must love you lots :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Aww poor guy.... you look like a great mommy though and he does look happy to be getting all this attention :) Good luck with the therapy and I think your own advice is the best, one day at a time.

Praying for a speedy and great recovery for him!!

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
Look how happy and healthy you BOTH look!

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My poor Laos.. I mean, your poor Laos.. ;)

Looks like his spirits are up and he is looking good.

I am sure it is tough on both of you but like you said, one day at a time.

What sorts of things are you doing to aid in his recovery? Just curious as I know of a neighbours dog who had CCL injury a while ago and they did some hydro-therapy with him that worked well after surgury.

Take care of my favorite forum pup! And rest while you can because I am sure Laos will be rearing to go when he is fully recovered!

·
Registered
27,271 Posts
He sure didn't mind you sharing his nekedness!
I agree with MRL...you both look happy and healthy!
I hope the recovery process in the LynnP's house goes smoothly, you deserve a break!

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Such a handsome boy Lynn. :wub:

Males are such love bugs, aren't they ? Love my boys ! Great pics............

Can you tell me what the TPLO/CCL is ? Only know of OCD, my male had this happen when younger to his front rg shoulder & looked all bare like your boy. :(

Hard to keep them down & you so worry if they do something. :eek:

Best of luck to you both.

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
He looks so happy to be home in your arms! My last gsd Omy had the same surgery when she was almost 9 yrs old and did very very well, quick recovery and felt better than she had in a long time. Worth the effort!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
oh thats good he's doing well!!!! he looks happy to be getting some cuddle time!!! best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can you tell me what the TPLO/CCL is ?
Best of luck to you both.
CCL = canine cruciate ligament
TPLO = Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy

Thank you all for the kinds words. We made it through night #1.

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
He is looking good in his after care situation!

It is a bit of rehab dedication afterward. Hope that all goes well for you guys.

I trained with a large Swissie who had this surgery. She did great after it.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He is looking good in his after care situation!

It is a bit of rehab dedication afterward. Hope that all goes well for you guys.

I trained with a large Swissie who had this surgery. She did great after it.
Thanks Samba.. that's what I've been told.. that unless I committ to the rehab afterwards the surgery is a waste of time and money. It's all a little over whelming, but we'll get through it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Hi Lynn, so glad to read the surgery went well and that you've made it through night #1. The beginning is the hardest. Just remember your ice and prom and the rest will slowly fall into place. How has the other knee held up? Looks like your doing well yourself so that's good too!

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Natalie,

So far the other knee is stable and holding up... so I'm keeping my fingers (and everything else) crossed. I'm to start the PROM on the fifth day, so that will be on Tuesday. I'm to ice the knee down for the first 2 days, and then switch to warm compresses. I'm taking this one day at a time and am just doing the best I can for Laos. I myself am feeling pretty good and I'm glad I waited to do Laos' surgery after mine. There's no way someone else could have done his rehab while I was in for my surgery (or maybe they could I just wouldn't have wanted to ask).

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Laos' 2nd "ice down" session today. He's being such a trooper through all of this.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
He looks to be in very good spirits, Lynn! :) I have a pet grooming salon and I have a lot clients that have this operation and the CCL (even more common, I think) done for their dogs. The results are amazing! I only had one Aussie dog that was still gimpy permanently after the surgery, all the others were 100% after the recovery period. I know if my dog needed it done, I'd go for it.

btw...love the bed barricaded with the chairs! :laugh:

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Toffifay.. thank you... encouraging words like that make it all seem okay.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
I'm dealing with a possible knee injury too, even though I'm pretty sure that's not what the problem is. How was it diagnosed? What were the symptoms? What's rehab going to be like?

1 - 20 of 60 Posts