German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laos is doing extremely well. He went to VOSM for his recheck this past Tuesday and he's exactly where he should be. Bones are starting to knit together, screws and plate secure. His PT now consist of 30 minute leash walks 2 or 3 times daily and "up the hill" walks as tolerated, along with the PROM exercises. I'm starting to wean him off the pain meds. I've moved his 5 x 5 kennel into the empty dining room so he has a little more room to move around. Took him to training today to get out for a while. He did a short track and a very little bit of obedience. He seems quite content at the moment.

His new "apartment"

·
Registered
27,270 Posts
Wow, Lynn~ You are doing a great job re-habbing him!
He is one lucky Laos. I bet he really enjoyed getting out to training today, love his hospital room setup!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Lynn,
That's great news! He looks great and I love the set up you have as well. Keep up the good work and best of luck with his recovery. He seems a little further along than Buddy. We go back on the 20th for first x-rays...looking forward to finding out how it's healing and what the doc thinks.
Melinda

·
Premium Member
27,460 Posts
He looks great, getting that spark back in his eye...

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
First off, SOOOO happy to hear that Laos is doing well. I often think of that boy and was hoping for an update soon. :) Glad it was one that was so positive.

Secondly, LOVE the kennel set up! Did you construct that yourself? I will have to remember that.. love it.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
He looks so handsome. I've been out of the loop for a while - what was wrong with him? It looks like you are doing an amazing job of taking care of him.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Melinda ~ good luck on the 20th. I was on pins and needles wondering how things were healing. He still acts like an idiot even with the sedation so I was a little worried.

Elizabeth ~ I had two 5 x 5 kennels down in the basement for Laos & Dante. I knew I had to put a "roof" on Laos' from now on to stop his jumping straight up and down, which he did all the time. I was able to take the side panels and lay them down long ways (so that the kennel is actualy now 5 x 6). I took a panel from Dante's kennel and place it on those slats of wood that you see to lower the top. They are the AKC kennels that I pruchased through Tractor Supply Co. (Only kennels that are divided by 5 x 5 x 6 panels that I could find so I could get them in the house.)

Linda ~ he injured his CCL (canine cruciate ligament) sometime during the summer. After months of rest and then him limping again when he worked, we decided on the surgery.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Oh poor guy! I'm hoping for a speedy recovery for him! So so handsome - and so well cared for! :)

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
he looks great ! your doing a great job rehabbing him:)

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks.... it's been a comittment, that's for sure.

·
Registered
6,637 Posts
He looks like the "king of his castle." :) And he's doing remarkably well with his recovery!!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Lynn,
Buddy's nickname is "crazy man" so I so understand the waiting on pins and needles...that's me right now until we get those x-rays. I was wondering how
much and what meds you have him on now? And how much, if any he is limping
with his walks...Buddy is doing usually 2 ~15min walks/day and it varies from day
to day how much he favors it.
Thanks for the update...I was glad to see Laos is doing so well :)
Melinda

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Melinda...

There's still a significant limp though with each day it seems less. The exception is when he does those hill walks... he's quit sore after that. We are up to 2 to 3 thirty minute walks and then I try to get at least one hill walk in. I don't do the hill walks when it's wet outside as I'm cautious about him slipping. I have weaned him off the Derramax, he takes only 2 tramadol pills at night now. I still have him on the sedative to help keep him quiet (well quieter).

I haven't been doing all the Physical Therapy exercises with him as it seems to be just a little too much with the walks. We do exercises like he needs to place his front feet up on a chair, weight shifting (from good to bad leg), and the regular stretching and range of motion exercises. Some times we get through them, some times we don't. If he fights me too much, I skip them.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Lynn,
Thanks for the info...it helps to know how it's going with someone in the same
situation. I guess we're doing pretty well...we'll find out more next week. Buddy is doing his walks each day and they include hills and snow so I guess that adds a little
difficulty to them. Our road is snow-packed from Nov 15th to about the end of March because we get so much snow (~275 inches a year) and there really isn't much flat terrain because we're in the mountains. He does limp after his walks so I still have him on 2 Tramadol and 1 Rimadyl per day but like you said the limping does seem to be less each day. Take care..I'll let you know how our appt goes next week.
Melinda

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Thanks Lynn.

Definitely going to bookmark those photo's so that when I am in my own place (I am renting at the moment) I can purchase and set one up similar. Love the idea and the space it gives the dogs.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We go to Physical Therapy today Melinda.. I'll let you know how it goes. These leash walks would be more pleasant if we were in Spring... these winter walks are not fun.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Laos looks like he is doing well. I have the same exact kennel and Kuranda bed but aluminum for my dog. I hope he continues to recover and his pain goes away.

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Laos' physical therapy session went very well today. His therapist, which I love, started him on the under water treadmill for 10 minutes. They came up front and got me so I could go back and watch him. I'll be taking video next week. He was having a blast... biting and pawing at the water. After the Holidays I'll see if I can afford to get him in twice a week as this will be a great way to build up his muscle mass. Today he'll get his leash walks, but I don't have to do any of the at-home exercises, or the dreaded hill walk. He doesn't mind the hill walk, but it kills my butt muscles...LOL. All in all, I've been very pleased with the staff I'm working with and Laos' progress.

Things happen for a reason I know and the good thing about all of this is that the co-owner of Laos is going to sign him over to me since I'm doing all the rehab. :paw:

·
Registered
9,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Carolina.. maybe when Laos is "medically" cleared to work again, you'll have your SchH field set up on the new house property... :)

1 - 20 of 126 Posts