German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. Enjoying the heck out of my new pup Regalo. I realized teething/biting is part of raising a puppy. Believe me, I have the marks to prove it! When it gets excessive, I put him back in his crate. How do/did all of you deal with this? I don't want to break his spirit by constantly telling him NO but I do want to enjoy him outside the crate. How do I let him no this is not cool?

J

·
Registered
646 Posts
Most people just put a toy in their mouth if they bite. This is not "shove a toy in their face and walk away." Give them the toy, and play a little. I'm conflicted as they're puppies and don't know any better, yet I feel that it could be a reward to some. "Bite dad and we play"

Be careful with using the crate. If you just yelled at him, then you can't put him in

No biting is allowed in my house. You bite and you get a "NO!" and an ear flick or snout flick. I did that when she was little. Now at almost 6mos, she got me a little too hard once, so gave her a snout slap (kind of like slapping a kid's hand). I felt this worked better, for me, than redirecting

Remember, do not punish if it was during play. There've been plenty of times where I was caught when we were playing. They don't have great body awareness, so it's not on purpose to catch you with teeth or they smack you with their paw

A member here has mentioned, "For every 'no' there needs to be a 'yes'." I think @car2ner said that? SO if you tell puppy no for biting, give toy and when they take/ squeak it, say "YES!" I've been using it for about a month. I'm not sure if it's working, but I'm sure my pup notices it

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most people just put a toy in their mouth if they bite. This is not "shove a toy in their face and walk away." Give them the toy, and play a little. I'm conflicted as they're puppies and don't know any better, yet I feel that it could be a reward to some. "Bite dad and we play"

Be careful with using the crate. If you just yelled at him, then you can't put him in

No biting is allowed in my house. You bite and you get a "NO!" and an ear flick or snout flick. I did that when she was little. Now at almost 6mos, she got me a little too hard once, so gave her a snout slap (kind of like slapping a kid's hand). I felt this worked better, for me, than redirecting

Remember, do not punish if it was during play. There've been plenty of times where I was caught when we were playing. They don't have great body awareness, so it's not on purpose to catch you with teeth or they smack you with their paw

A member here has mentioned, "For every 'no' there needs to be a 'yes'." I think @car2ner said that? SO if you tell puppy no for biting, give toy and when they take/ squeak it, say "YES!" I've been using it for about a month. I'm not sure if it's working, but I'm sure my pup notices it

I like that. Good advice

1 - 3 of 3 Posts