German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since coming home last month, we have been working on sits and downs, heeling, recall, focus work and shaking hands. With that initial foundation, we went to Lancer’s first puppy class Wednesday. It’s held at the same facility where I do agility class with Kayla. This instructor runs continuous classes-folks can join in at anytime so there were pups there from first timers (us) to one or two who have been attending five weeks.

Things we worked on during the first class included sits and downs, and two recall exercises. The first one the instructor called the “name” game. Toss a treat several feet away and let the puppy go get it. After he swallows the treat, call him back to you and when he reaches you, toss a treat several feet in a different direction. Repeat the exercise for a few treats. Lancer loved this game- he came back right away each time and picked up his pace as we continued trying to get to each treat and swallow as fast as he could so he could get another. The second was a combination socialization and recall – bringing your dog to the center of the room and let them briefly greet and then step back while calling your dog. Lancer held back a little on this one at first but still did well on the recall. Since he already knows that coming to me when he heard his name means “TREATS!” he did well on those exercises.

We did some surface work – bubble wrap, egg crate and a few agility pieces laid flat on the ground. Lancer did great on all of the surface work-I was expecting him to trip on the egg crates since he kept his focus up on me while walking across them.

There was another puppy class following ours and the instructor combined the two classes for about ten minutes– we closed off part of the agility area and we repeated the two recall games and let the dogs interact a little more while several dogs were running agility equipment in the background.

Lancer did great with all the exercises we did that day and actually got a little bonus before class. The owner of the facility was running an agility class when we got there. She came over and took Lancer into her arms and walked out to the middle of the course. So he got held by yet another person and this time while dogs were running agility exercises around him.

·
Super Moderator
32,283 Posts
Sounds like a great class, and Lancer did VERY well!

·
Super Moderator
7,228 Posts
sounds like an excellent facility. i have no worries that he'll do a great job!

did kayla go along with you, or was it a lancer solo day? i'm still trying to rid myself from guilt of leaving gia behind so much more now that tilden is here. part of it is for training/bonding purposes, but the other is because of her hips.

but anyway, i'd love to meet little lancer, and i'll be home in september

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally Posted By: Camerafoddersounds like an excellent facility. i have no worries that he'll do a great job!

did kayla go along with you, or was it a lancer solo day? i'm still trying to rid myself from guilt of leaving gia behind so much more now that tilden is here. part of it is for training/bonding purposes, but the other is because of her hips.

but anyway, i'd love to meet little lancer, and i'll be home in september
Kayla did not go along, this was a Lancer's time. It's a balancing act getting training times adjusted so we can focus on on or the other.

It'll be great to get together in Sept depending on schedules. Lancer should be getting his rabies shot sometime around mid month. And I intend on hitting either Fairmount Ridge or Pt Isabel the the first/second weekend afterwards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts