German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. So I did it, I adopted 4 year old Harley girl. I could not help myself after meeting her. She is very very underweight and has little to no training. When I say little to no, that’s being nice. She is a bit territorial of her crate but that’s expected. She lived with 4 other dogs and the other owners paid no attention to her. She is eager to please with a bit of that German shepherd stubbornness of course. Started training right away. Introduced her to Ellie and the two are fine together. I can see Harley is a bit questionable about Ellie in certain instances so we won’t be allowing her to be in those positions at first of course. The two will be supervised at all times of course. Here are some pictures 😞 she’s beautiful but skin and bones.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
She is beautiful, yes thin and underweight but not skin. and bones. Thank you for giving her a forever home. Good food love and boundaries she will be awesome. Just remember it can take a rescue dog up to 6mo to show their true temperament. It’s great ur training her now, it makes for a strong bond and trust.
Hope you Take pics when she is at a normal weight

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Yes congratulations! She's beautiful! But I agree she's far from skin and bones. Personally I like to see a couple ribs when the dog is standing or in motion. So many dogs I see are overweight. To me your dog looks 5 or 10 pounds lite, but certainly no more!

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
And I am another. I like my dogs thin. She needs a proverbial cheeseburger, but she is far from starved.
She is a pretty girl. Do be mindful as she settles in that you have two females.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You’re right not skin and bones In the sense but definitely underweight. Ellie doesn’t mind other dogs, she’s independent as all. The issues with the new pup is she takes ‘positional(?)’ authority where if she’s up higher she will get territorial to Ellie. She is also territorial of and around her crate. The pup lacks a bit of confidence but not much.

Attachments

·
Registered
728 Posts
She is gorgeous and pet ur other post I hope u keep her. She is under weight like 10lbs. Feed her small amounts like 3 to 4 meals a day.
Don’t let her be territorial can lead to bad fights with other female. Keep separate for awhile U til you and her have a bond and training under ur belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts