German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my GSD is 2YO, had her since she was 5 months old, the entire time I've had her she has never been a barker, to the point where i go months without hearing a single bark. The most she does is whine when she wants togo outside or hears my neighbor who she loves. The rare times she does let out ONE bark is if shes half asleep and a noise startles her or shes having a nightmare and wakes up suddenly. Other dogs (big or small) can bark relentlessly, people can knock on the door, I can rile her up with her ball (she has really high ball drive), and you wont get a single bark out of her. Every forum or website i have been to always says that GSD's are for the most part barkers, is there anything i should be concerned about or has anyone had a GSD who just doesn't bark?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't think there is anything you should be concerned about, however, if you wanted a dog that would bark you might need to try train it into her. If a stranger started to break into your home she wouldn't bark at all?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think there is anything you should be concerned about, however, if you wanted a dog that would bark you might need to try train it into her. If a stranger started to break into your home she wouldn't bark at all?
I have not tested that , she is extremely playful and curious with humans, shes never on guard or protective. I have contacted a few companies that do protection training, and they have steered me away from it stating, are you sure you want that level of responsibility when you are out in public with her etc etc.. I don't necessarily mind the no barking, but its nice to hear sometimes, so if she can do it on command that would be ideal scenario or atleast when someone knocks on the door. When someone knock, she goes to the door and wags her tail..

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would say it is normal depending on the line. One of my American line dogs didn't bark much and was very friendly like your dog. My West German Showline girl is very barky and unfriendly. So I would say it depends a lot on the genetics of your dog.

·
Registered
7,497 Posts
I would say it is more then lines but the particular dog no doubt. Does he not bark he is attentive? It may mean nothing it depends what other actions do with that. My first male wL never barked he would wait though and loomed down the stair case to the front door. He would wait everyone that new him felt he just was saving his energy and not waist an ounce. He certainly would not let anyone pass if not invited. Max an asl just as protective he has a big booming bark. If someone is at the door there is a little window I open he has to stick his big head sniffing scents and sucking air in like a bull as I talk to whoever is at the door and looms through the tinted glass which he clearly is on duty. If family I can tell who he wags his tail and wines to see th through the door. We were all sitting by the fire place the other day and someone was hunting in the nearby woods and a gunshot went off. It startled us all my son leaped off the couch. it was real close - max flew off the couch barking through the windows going around the house looking at every window. He simmered down but was listening to everything outside just waiting to pounce for quite awhile after. Luna A wgsl just observes the lunatic. Luna’s will bark when she is outside at people passing by but will not bark at anyone at the door. She is friendly to anyone at the door. One night a good friend had stayed over awhile ago and went down to get a drink and in the dark Luna charged at her and stopped her in her tracks smelled her and remembered this was a family friend and then greeted her with her sweetness. So I was happy with that response and a bit surprised as she is a non barker at the door. So again it can mean something or nothing don’t let general lines get in the way of an individual dog but his own genetic traits he has recieved.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Karma isn't much of a barker. She has barked a few times when someone is over, and she is already in her kennel. However she has stopped, when i walked around the corner and told her to stop. We had a servicemen come in and check out our dryer the other day. It was just my wife, our dogs, and our tiny human at home. Karma didn't bark when the man knocked, but watched him interact with my wife. She sniffed him a few times, and then was his little helper when he was taking apart our dryer.

I have seen her put herself between our tiny human and another dog (friend's friendly dog.. no threat) when she was only 3 months old. I assume (i know i never should), that she trusts our judgement on who we let into our home. BUT our Karma hasn't had a bad experience (yet) with people who have been let into our house or who we bring her around.

Like others have stated, she also observes our interactions with people. Ears up, standing stall, and laser eye focus on the new human who is in the house/around her humans. it's almost like she is ready to pounce, but at the same time, realizes that this human is ok, and lets her guard down and expects belly rubs

·
Registered
127 Posts
If a stranger started to break into your home she wouldn't bark at all?

around here the stranger would have to be fussing with the big bag of dog food before these guys would care.

I would say if you've had her for awhile and she's quiet, she's a happy dog with nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If a stranger started to break into your home she wouldn't bark at all?

around here the stranger would have to be fussing with the big bag of dog food before these guys would care.

I would say if you've had her for awhile and she's quiet, she's a happy dog with nothing to complain about.
our bullies would lead them to where the food is stored and expect to be fed while they are robbing us lol..

Last night/early yesterday morning we had some snooping around the house at 430am. Karma was in her kennel, but apparently could hear the person outside. She let out a couple good DEEP barks. Woke me, the wife, AND the baby up. We thought it was odd for her to bark. When we left to go to work a couple hours later, i saw foot prints in the snow by the wife's car (we don't have a garage) that were not mine, nor hers.. Karma got her fill on belly rubs and snacks when i got home from work yesterday :)

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Regarding the companies' warning about protection training, I doubt your dog has the genetics for being a protection dog based on your description or her. What is her breeding? Some dogs just aren't barkers, but can be taught to bark. If she likes the ball, use it to frustrate her until you get any type of vocalization and then immediately toss her the ball. Continue with that and raise the expectation meaning gradually, you expect more and more vocalization before rewarding with the ball, until she is barking and then barking enthusiastically. A ball on a string works best and you have to know how to tease/give misses with the ball while holding the string to build frustration.

·
Registered
850 Posts
So my GSD is 2YO, had her since she was 5 months old, the entire time I've had her she has never been a barker, to the point where i go months without hearing a single bark. The most she does is whine when she wants togo outside or hears my neighbor who she loves. The rare times she does let out ONE bark is if shes half asleep and a noise startles her or shes having a nightmare and wakes up suddenly. Other dogs (big or small) can bark relentlessly, people can knock on the door, I can rile her up with her ball (she has really high ball drive), and you wont get a single bark out of her. Every forum or website i have been to always says that GSD's are for the most part barkers, is there anything i should be concerned about or has anyone had a GSD who just doesn't bark?
Can we trade dogs? Mine is constantly "on patrol" and barking at all the squirrels, deer, foxes, leaves, that invade HIS territory. So be careful what you ask for.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
half-GSD half-husky here.
He is also very quiet. Days and weeks go by without a sound.

If he barks and growls, there is always a good real reason- people lurking by fence, man on ladder in our yard, plumber let himself back in house.

We boarded him for a week...constant “bark! bark! bark!” from all the dogs is what I hear in the kennel office...but he came back as silent as always. I do believe it must be temperament or genetics, or he would definitely have learned to enjoy barking while there.

I like the peace and quiet though...I like it this way!

·
Registered
2 Posts
people can knock on the door, I can rile her up with her ball (she has really high ball drive), and you wont get a single bark out of her. Every forum or website i have been to always says that GSD's are for the most pa xender discord omegle rt barkers, is there anything i should be concerned about or has anyone had a GSD who just doesn't bark?

·
Registered
42 Posts
people can knock on the door, I can rile her up with her ball (she has really high ball drive), and you wont get a single bark out of her. Every forum or website i have been to always says that GSD's are for the most part barkers, is there anything i should be concerned about or has anyone had a GSD who just doesn't bark?
I have a very high drive wl male who is 5 years old . He hardly ever barks I.ve tried teasing with the ball for years and all I can get out of him is a slight bark or a snap of the jaws. When I did some training he would bark a little bit more for a sleeve. I was told his sire was similar so I assume it's genetic.

·
Super Moderator
6,992 Posts
Gia barked at fireworks, or on command.... nothing else, for 13yrs.

I believe Tilden rarely barked as he was mentored by Gia. He’d occasionally let out a single bark to alert then it followed by a whine as he’d come to find me. For about a year when he was 2ish we dealt with some reactive barking at dogs or from the car. That said... we’ve certainly gone an entire year without a peep from him. In his final year, it increased again but I think it was in response to his nerves and going deaf.

Both dogs lived a healthy, happy 13yrs... so I wouldn’t worry. Both were on the friendly / social side of the gsd range although Gia had more edge to her.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It turned into strange for her to bark. while we left to visit paintings a pair hours later, i noticed foot prints in the snow by using fmwhatsapp the spouse's vehicle (we do not have a storage) that have been no longer mine,

·
Registered
984 Posts
Ozzy never barks at home or in the car. Never outside in the yard either which is fine we have enough barkers with the neighbor dogs. He just now at 2 started to give a bark or two when the doorbell rings.
He barks on command, and in protection training. Before Indy came I wished he would bark in the house but now Indy is the barker horribly outside, in the crate if she sees someone. Bark collar is on her now outside in the kennel.
I always say be careful what you wish for.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts