German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

So I have a 6 month old male Labrador and my German Shepherd pup is arriving in 10 days, also a male.
Will they get along fine?

Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Well you really shouldn’t have gotten another puppy yet. Is the lab completely trained yet? How does he do around other dogs, especially puppy’s? And it’s also a better idea to get a female if you already have a male, males might fight each other but a male and female usually get along well. Good luck though with all that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He loves all dogs...gets super excited when he meets a new dog. Don't want a female..cross breeding and all that

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi,

So I have a 6 month old male Labrador and my German Shepherd pup is arriving in 10 days, also a male.
Will they get along fine?

Thanks
Thats hard to say, I'd say....

We have an 11 YO male and a 4 YO female GSD's
And we recently added a male GSD .... 4 months old now....

The puppy definitely gets along better with the female.... The older male is still determined to remain king alpha dog...
There have been a couple aggressive encounters... but the puppy is learning to keep his distance and we also keep toys limited in the house.... most altercations seem to be in the house over a toy...

the female has also gone after the puppy/over a toy also.

all that said, most times they all get along like peas and carrots.....

but things may evolve as the male pup gets older.

Realistically, My old male might not be here in 2-3 years... as much as it pains me to say that...
So thats the reason we added another male. To keep the male/female tradition going.

I would always suggest male/female for a 2 dog household. regardless of breed.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
May I suggest doing your research now on neutering before you do something you can't undo.

Two males will most likely fight when they hit around two years of age. You might be able to balance things by supporting the more dominant male but most people will mistake defensive behavior for that of offense and make the problem worse. However, if both dogs are acting offensively, you might have to opt for crate and rotate or else rehome one of the dogs. Once they start fighting, you have been warned. It most likely will escalate from thst point forward.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I have a 5 y/o intact male shepherd and a 2 y/o neutered lab. They get along well. They have never had a fight (knock on wood).

A lot depends on your individual dogs, how you manage them. My shepherd I knew was not just same sex aggressive, as he still to this day plays with neutered male daycare dogs. He can get huffy with other intact males.

My boys were besties until around 9 or 10 months when my then intact male lab was getting flirty with my old female shepherd. Male shepherd took offense to this and there was tension.

I worked to keep the peace, but there were intermittent episodes of tension. It was from the shepherd at the lab and not reciprocated at all. The lab in fact gave every signal he had to diffuse when the shepherd would get like that. Lab standard says something to the effect of "non quarrelsome with man nor beast". Not that a lab will never fight but I do think a well bred lab is less likely to go to a fight he is invited to than a shepherd.

Long story short I did neuter my lab early (16 mo) to keep the peace. The neuter solved those problems 100%. I don't think there has been any tension between the boys since. They are separated for high value treats, food, and when I leave them alone. They are more affectionate, friendly and playful with each other than any pair of male/female dogs I ever had. Although that is mostly due to the particular female half.

At any rate. It can be ok. I would suggest you neuter your older dog well before he hits social maturity. He is six months older than the puppy? So when he is a year puppy will be 6 months?

If I were you I'd neuter older one at a year and wait and do younger when younger is a year if things seem cool. If there is weirdness then I'd neuter both when older is 1 yr.

Yes it is healthier for them to grow to 2 before neuter but if the alternative is possibly losing their home due to fighting with housemate, then my vote would be to neuter young in the greater interest of keeping the peace. People neuter young ALL the time...it's not as good for them but it is also not the end of the world, and you can prevent a lot of social problems between your boys.

·
Super Moderator
6,981 Posts
Breed is not going to be your problem... age and gender is of a bigger concerned as already mentioned. My current and past 2 GSD have all gotten along great with (an unusually high sample size of) Labs....

·
Registered
9,913 Posts
There is a good chance that the older pup will bully the young one. They are by no means capable of the teacher role. You are in for a lot of work if you want this to be successful without going crazy. Or the pups get along fine and won't need you at all. And if you still go ahead, consider researching neutering and spaying pups. Think before you leap. I would not do it.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
I'll add for the sake of clarity: I would have very much preferred my younger dog be female. But my search came down to 2 breeders, one of GSD and one of lab and both breeder's females were likely to be too small at maturity for what I needed. (He is a service dog) it would have been a real problem if I put that much work and 2 years and produced a dog that could work but was too small for the job.

Since my older dog was adult already I felt like I pretty much knew who he would turn out to be and I knew he could get along with neutered males.
My lab is also partocularly peaceable, too. Which helps.

So far so good, knock on wood.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts