·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was actually just reading an article about popular breeds and it talked about the doodle "breed" and how popular it is in my area.

Trending: Which Dog Breeds Rule Southwestern Connecticut - Trending

They really are all over the place around here. I definitely see more of these doodle mixes than shepherds. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with doodles. There is one that is about a year old in Dax's obedience class on Saturdays and that dog.... so not his biggest fan. Dax is still really young and loves everyone but he see's Tucker for group play time which is MAYBE 15 minutes and he's started trying to stay away from Tucker. He doesn't like him very much anymore. And I'm convinced a rock is smarter than Tucker is. He just does not get it. It's like the wires in his head are crossed to a whole other planet. He's basically just as poorly behaved as all the other doodles I've encountered which kills me because usually their owners brag about how well behaved and obedient they are. Their behavior says otherwise!

Tucker's owners paid $5k for him as a puppy. He's a year old now. He's freaking huge too. For that price, they could have gotten a smarter dog.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
It mentioned in the article I posted that they're going for more money than most purebreds, but $5k?! That's crazy to spend that for a mutt. That's crazy to spend that for any dog that's not trained, purebred or mixed breed.

I've never looked into it because I have zero interest in doodles, but I can't believe that they go for so much money.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Isn't it just the same old story??

If done right it could have worked.....but too many people who didn't know what they were doing saw a buck.....not much different to what we have in the majority of breeds around the world.....the dogs aren't stupid......the people are.:)

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It mentioned in the article I posted that they're going for more money than most purebreds, but $5k?! That's crazy to spend that for a mutt. That's crazy to spend that for any dog that's not trained, purebred or mixed breed.

I've never looked into it because I have zero interest in doodles, but I can't believe that they go for so much money.

yup! and that doesn't include initial vet costs. According to his owner, he was REALLY sick the first 4-5 months after he came home. He wracked up another $7k in vet bills and then once he was "healthy" he's been in OB classes since at anywhere from $100-$200 a pop lasting 6-8 weeks at a time. For what they've paid for that dog, I could have paid off my Xterra and my van! (traded in the Xterra for a Tundra so back to payments for a couple years lol).

Mutts can be some great dogs but there's absolutely no way in heck I'd EVER even consider paying more than $100 for a mutt. but they asked how much I'd paid for Dax and I said $1500 + shipping. He mentioned Tucker was $5k + shipping but $5K?!?!?!!?! NO! Way too much for an untrained puppy. Not to mention he was telling me he wanted the smaller toy like version of the breed and they ended up with this almost 80lb dog. There's no standard! It doesn't matter whether they breed a smaller poodle with a smaller lab. Its mind blowing.

For rarer breeds, I can understand spending a bit more but doodles are not only mutts but they are practically everywhere being bred. Just nope!

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't it just the same old story??

If done right it could have worked.....but too many people who didn't know what they were doing saw a buck.....not much different to what we have in the majority of breeds around the world.....the dogs aren't stupid......the people are.:)

that's true but the dogs I've met (unfortunately way more than I cared to meet) are incredibly dumb. I always think of Carlos Mencia's "he was a di da di!" when I see a doodle. When I meet an intelligent well behaved one, I'll ease up on my opinion of them but until that day happens, they are dumb. The people aren't the brightest either but I'm not a huge fan of people so I won't comment further on that one lol.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
$5,000 a pop and if there's 8 to the litter. That's $40,000 right there for 8 week old mixed breed pups. That's just insane.

·
Registered
19,157 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
$5,000 a pop and if there's 8 to the litter. That's $40,000 right there for 8 week old mixed breed pups. That's just insane.

that's more than enough for cover costs of breeding and whelping too.

Completely agree. I get a lot of business out of them (as trainer).

I did a private lesson for an officer on base year before last with one. Sweet dog.... I've seen smarter fence posts. They'd had her since she was a puppy and she was about a year and a half by the time I was sent to work with them. They were consistent with potty training, had a posted schedule for feeding and everything and the dog STILL wasn't house trained. She had AWESOME recall but didn't grasp anything else. Ask for a sit and try to lure her into position and I swear, the dumb expression on her face spread further. Lights were on but the hamster in the wheel was dead.

My mentor told me one time she's all but refused to work with doodles because there is really no working with them. You want to benefits of a poodle get a poodle. You want the lab personality, get the lab. Don't get a mix of the two.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Don't get me started on 'doodles, 'doodle breeders, and 'doodle owners.

I groom several of them, and I just don't understand the attraction. While I've never met a mean 'doodle, they seem to inherit the worst of both Lab and Poodle, and their coats are a nightmare to work with. Some 'doodle breeders are going around telling their puppy buyers that their dogs don't shed and don't need to be groomed. ?!? So I get these 'doodles in that are a year old and have never been groomed, and the dog's coat is mangled and tangled and matted beyond belief, requiring me to shave the whole dog down short and start over, and of course the owners "don't want their dog to look like a Poodle".

These breeders charge $2000 and up for MUTT puppies, which automatically weeds out anyone who is the least bit dog-savvy. They tell people the dogs don't shed and are hypoallergenic, which everyone who knows dogs knows is impossible. So they get a lot of first-time dog owners who believe anything the breeder tells them. Then you get this hyperactive, high-maintenance dog with a clueless owner, and it's a recipe for a spoiled, untrained, undisciplined dog with a horribly unkempt, matted coat.

See, I told you not to get me started. :)

·
Premium Member
2,369 Posts
I agree with you on the issues these dogs have created but don't lump all of them and their owners in one group. I have a 'goldendoodle' who was a rescue, I did not pay big bucks for him nor was I seeking a 'designer' breed. Yes he has some behavior issues with other dogs but he's certainly not stupid, has the best recall on any dog I've ever owned, knows all the basic commands and obeys them 100%... He is phenomenal with children too. He doesn't have GSD smarts but hey not many dogs do!

Do I think doodle crosses are a good idea? No, will I ever buy one intentionally? **** no. These threads still get under my skin though... I guess I'm just feeling sensitive and this came at a bad time because mine has an intestinal obstruction right now and may need surgery.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
It has more to do with the "type" of people who go for a dog like this than the dogs being dumb IMO. Most people who own these sorts of dogs do so for the "designer" feel rather than truly wanting a dog to train. Of course not every doodle owner falls into this category but many do......like I said.....the dogs are more than likely very smart......the owners......not so much ;)

Carriesue......hoping your fella is going to be OK......you definitely don't fall into the "dumb" owner category. :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
My friend has an adorable 6 year old labradoodle. Maggie is a sweetie and my dogs love her. I don't have a clue how smart she is. Seems to me that she basically does what is wanted of her and since she isn't a working dog I am not sure what more they would need. Another friend just got a labradoodle. Her daughter is severly allergic, would have real problems over my house in a short period of time. They have had their doodle for 5 months and so far no problems with their daughter's allergies. I think they paid about $2,000 for the dog, which is way more than I would pay, but that is their business. Their pup is adorable, but not really my style of dog.

I wasn't aware that there was such dislike of doodles. The ones I have met were sweeties - not my cup of tea, but sweeties.

·
5,627 Posts
I'm going to have to defend some of the doodles. While I do agree that they are mixed breeds and not worth thousands, they aren't all dumb.

I've worked with a bunch that a very smart, easy to train, have drive and are down right funny. That's not to say there aren't a hundred that aren't those things.

I do notice other dogs often have a hard time reading doodles, especially black ones so I can see why our GSDs who tend to be more serious when mature wouldn't get along with a doodle.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sparra, the stereotype of the type of owners could be extended to GSD owners. I find that some people assume that I am that I am training my GSD for personal protection and they are afraid of him. That is certainly not a fair assumption and not at all true.

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
My parents have a labradoodle which they bought it from a nearby hobby breeder, not BYB. I grew up with labs; my parents had three labs, a lab mix, and a golden retriever. We met both of Samson’s parents; both had their health clearances and very nice temperaments

Samson's a great dog, hard headed but good health and trainable. The only issue is his coat, it is very hard to groom as Freestep has already mentioned because it's the poodle hair with the lab thickness so it can destroy clippers. Thankfully he only really requires grooming twice a year, he gets shaved in the summer and brushed out for the winter and he's ok.

Temperament wise he's a gem, my parents just started fostering for a rescue a few months ago and he's been great with all three foster dogs they've had so far from a small Lhasa to a fearful Dobie/lab mix. He takes the new foster dog under his wing and his steady temperament brought the fearful dog to the point she was playing with him and his patience was fantastic with their last foster who was a mix and high energy and just not quite right in the head. He's gentle with the small dogs but steady with the large dogs, from never being properly socialized as he lives on a farm he takes everything in stride.

Personally, I try to look at the individual dog rather than the breed itself before judging. I'm not a huge fan of the doodles but some really are good dogs

Edit: Just wanted to add that before my first visit to Stalworth I had never in my life met a good representation of a GSD. They were either fearful, bullies, and stubborn to the point of being untrained and ignored their owners commands. If I went by the stereotypes and the ones I had met I never would have gone to Stalworth and met their dogs and gotten Delgado. I never regret taking that leap of faith :)

·
Registered
705 Posts
The people aren't the brightest either but I'm not a huge fan of people so I won't comment further on that one lol.
LOL!! That sounds like me!

A relative paid $500.00 for an AussieDoodle because they want a "hypoallergenic" dog. So now they have a 70lb nerve bag that has to be sent to the groomer, I suspect every 6 weeks, for a "teddy bear" cut because the hair is long, thick and fine. This was not what they anticipated - nervous, big, expensive.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
13,884 Posts
this is so spooky that goldendoodles became a topic on a GSD thread. Yesterday I was visiting with a friend that I knew since highschool days . Our plans for the afternoon together were interrupted by her getting a call to come in to work to fill in for someone who had a family emergency to look after. So our time was spent by my driving her around so that she could do her errands , then back home for a change of outfit , then to her place of work -- one of my book store haunts . My friend had her drivers licence pulled a few years back because she has a retinal detachment in her right eye , with no peripheral vision . When she asked me to drive , which her husband normally would do, she joked and said -- you better save one of your dogs for me . If I ever need a dog it better not be a goldendoodle--- they're so stooopid . So we then got into a brief history of the goldendoodle and the Australian guide institute. There was another reason that the poodle genetics were put to use , as explained to me by one of the organizers of the acquisitions and breeding program at Canine Vision Canada , pretty well back when the "goldendoodle" was just starting out --- and that was the poodle was used to improve the chances of good orthopedics (hips). Labs are at higher risk than the GSD.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Carmspack that is really interesting. When we would go to Seeing Eye club meetings there were no doodles. I wonder why. There were GSDs, labs, goldens, and a few lab/golden mixes. I always wondered why they didn't try to breed one of the non-shedding breeds as there must be blind people that would like/need a non shedding dog. Since the Seeing Eye has a very careful breeding program I have to assume that doodles just didn't work out or perhaps they never even tried them because they figure that they won't work out.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts