German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted pictures of Wiggles when we first got her from the shelter. She is lab mixed with ?? small dog.

Here she is many months later and she seems to be done growing. She is the smallest dog we ever had and I am curious to see what everyone things she might be mixed with.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is another view. My cell phone takes really bad pictures and so do I. LOL but hopefully someone can give me an idea what she might be mixed with.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Still looks like a lab. There's nothing in the pictures for size comparison, how much does she weigh?

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Ok, in the last pic, her muzzle looks a tad longer maybe? Not sure... And she doesn't appear to have the otter like tail that mine had. Overall she still looks like a lab to me.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She does have the otter tail... The little swirl of fur at the end, right?

She is maybe 40 lbs.

Here she is laying next to my GSD and my Border Collie/Lab mix. He is 58# the GSD she is maybe 75-80#.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
she sure looks like lab to me....except for her size...maybe she's 3/4 lab and something smaller with the 1/4...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
she sure looks like lab to me....except for her size...maybe she's 3/4 lab and something smaller with the 1/4...
I don't know. What would you guess for the 1/4 ? She has some decidedly un lab like traits. LOL My boy Ivan loves water. She hates it. She however loves to dig in the dirt. I just can't think of any breed that small that looks labish..

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Don't get me wrong I still think your dog looks and probably is mostly lab and a pretty one at that. My mother in law ended up with a small lab very much like yours. She got Rosie from the shelter, she is est. to be 8 years old and is a fantastic dog. Kinda funny how she got her, there were two young cowboy guys following my MIL around the shelter as she took Rosie for a test spin. They would whisper between themselves and kept up the following for quite some time. When my Mil decided she was going to adopt her they left, despite similar labs being available. We think they may have dumped her, maybe she belonged to a family member or something and were told to go back and get her. It was suspicious anyways. She has perfect recall, heal, etc... Awesome dog, can't believe she ended up there.

Oh yea, here's what I meant by otter tail.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't get me wrong I still think your dog looks and probably is mostly lab and a pretty one at that. My mother in law ended up with a small lab very much like yours. She got Rosie from the shelter, she is est. to be 8 years old and is a fantastic dog. Kinda funny how she got her, there were two young cowboy guys following my MIL around the shelter as she took Rosie for a test spin. They would whisper between themselves and kept up the following for quite some time. When my Mil decided she was going to adopt her they left, despite similar labs being available. We think they may have dumped her, maybe she belonged to a family member or something and were told to go back and get her. It was suspicious anyways. She has perfect recall, heal, etc... Awesome dog, can't believe she ended up there.

Oh yea, here's what I meant by otter tail.
I work for a rescue and am always amazed by the wonderful dogs that end up there. :(

I wound up with Wiggles cause my old boy needed his license renewed and when I went to the local shelter with my rabies certificate there she was just demanding to come home with me. It really doesn't matter what she is I just wish I knew so I could understand some of her traits better. She is totally different not only from my GSD's but also from every lab I've ever known. I know something else is mixed in there... I just wish I had a good guess as to what it is.

@Gretchen you think pit? The ones I know have always been pretty good sized. Larger than wiggles.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It is really hard to tell what the mix is when it's a black lab looking dog.

There may be a hint of pointer or setter in one of the photos.

I've a 3/4 lab retriever 1/4 boxer cross. Most of the pups looked pure lab, some looked like retrievers and one dog had a black face and white under belly of the boxer with a foxy coat.

·
Registered
226 Posts
She looks like a lab to me. My old Labrador was much the same. Much lighter than other Labradors, and a longer face. I'm not sure if its the case or not however I've heard there are English Labradors (bigger ones, tending to have lower drive, a little bit heavier set?) and American labs (longer, leaner, high drive) my other half used to be able to get Dexter to sit, walk away from him, face him, tap his own chest and say "here Dex!" And dexter would run, jump and my partner would catch him. My other half is 6ft tall. :D
Regardless her breed, she is beautiful!! :) :hug:

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
238 Posts
She looks like a mix of a lab and a pointer to me. But I don't know how she is all black... Cute girl! :).

·
Registered
424 Posts
interesting. does look mostly lab to me too. I can see where gretchen got pbull (his eyes in the first pic def look like pitt eyes and the size corresponds)...I'm thinking there's a few different puppers mixed in there. I bet his pedigree is a mush-mosh of breeds! :) The one pic also looks a bit like a weimeraner or viszla (but those are larger breeds and what's the chance of a viszla mac- daddy running around romancing labs?) just sayin.

You may be able to help identify what else is in him by his mannerisms. Different breeds def have diff habits-like you mentioned, digging. Lots of diff breeds dig, but terriers probably dig more often than others. You mentioned different traits-anything else besides digging and an aversion towards water?...

i love trying to figure out what dogs are in a mixed pup-it's fun.

I had a beagle/cocker mix when I was a little girl. It looked like a beagle but was the blonde color of a cocker. It had the yowly howl bark of a beagle-but was highstrung as ever- more like a cocker. He was a weird little guy..who was always our family's christmas eve entertainment as his holiday spirit led him to making lots of love to our couch cushions (even though he was neutered.)

aren't mutts great?

·
Premium Member
16,483 Posts
She looks like a field bred lab to me......

·
Registered
226 Posts
My "American" Labrador, guessing field bred is a better term for it! :)
Sorry for the bad pic, but it might give you some idea.
Hehe Dexter the upside down Labrador!

ImageUploadedByPG Free1373459596.703901.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I see lab, if there is a mix maybe something like a pointer which would make a finer/lighter body but not distort the lab features :shrug:

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
interesting. does look mostly lab to me too. I can see where gretchen got pbull (his eyes in the first pic def look like pitt eyes and the size corresponds)...I'm thinking there's a few different puppers mixed in there. I bet his pedigree is a mush-mosh of breeds! :) The one pic also looks a bit like a weimeraner or viszla (but those are larger breeds and what's the chance of a viszla mac- daddy running around romancing labs?) just sayin.

You may be able to help identify what else is in him by his mannerisms. Different breeds def have diff habits-like you mentioned, digging. Lots of diff breeds dig, but terriers probably dig more often than others. You mentioned different traits-anything else besides digging and an aversion towards water?...

i love trying to figure out what dogs are in a mixed pup-it's fun.

I had a beagle/cocker mix when I was a little girl. It looked like a beagle but was the blonde color of a cocker. It had the yowly howl bark of a beagle-but was highstrung as ever- more like a cocker. He was a weird little guy..who was always our family's christmas eve entertainment as his holiday spirit led him to making lots of love to our couch cushions (even though he was neutered.)

aren't mutts great?
They are. :) sometimes the get the best traits other times not so much but Wiggles seems to have lucked out. She is super friendly, super social and unable to be still when someone is touching her... hence the name "Wiggles" :D

Many of my rescues have been traumatized in some way or another when I've gotten them. Ivan was head shy and skittish. Tasha freaks when you accidentally touch her with a toe or try to step over her, I've had a Great Dane that was super skinny with ribs sticking out, but Wiggles seems to have avoided all that. She was actually a chunky little cuddle puppy when we rescued her from the shelter. Our vet guessed about 6 months... Our shelters here are full of Pits and Chi's or the farm dog mixes. Just can't imagine how such a sweetie could have wound up there.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts