German Shepherds Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent about 1/2 an hour reading through the new posts, and thought I might have to "reintroduce myself" lol b/c it's been so long since I've been on here ... sigh, again!

Life with Ky is never boring ... we have been having a blast and enjoying the freakish weather (got 5 cm of snow yesterday ... UGH ... winter go away, I'm done!)

The ONLY "bad" event is Ky has two hot spots (had to get her shaved) so she looks ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS ... there's one on each side of her butt ... from a distance she looks like she has two targets on her. Collodial silver has been a life saver in treating it ... She went swimming last weekend (it was a really nice day outside) and I guess I missed two spots when I was drying her ... SIGH, love that long coat, but wow, drying her off is a job in itself!

I now have plantar fasciitis in both my feet, so our hikes have dropped from 3-4 hours a day to me bringing a friend and another dog so she can rip around the fields / mountains and tire herself out. I get home and can barely move. Orthotics arrive in 2 weeks, so hopefully that will help. Winter boots suck for sore feet!

I have some great pics of last weekend that I'll post in here, and on Easter weekend I had too much time on my hands so I made myself a new purse ... gives me a great chance to show Kyleigh off!

Some of the things I noticed while I was reading the posts:

Rocket dog ... love the new avatar
Liesje - OMG is that not the cutest puppy ever??? What a great pic for your avatar!

I read through the whole thread of my dog has suddenly turned aggressive, and my heart when out to the OP going through such a time, and then I had to crack up laughing at wolf's post ... yes, it is a dog, not a baby ... I really wish people would get that through their heads with ANY dog, let alone a GSD ... sheesh ...

The other day I had to take Ky to the vet to get the "hotspots" area shaved (thankfully, the techs will do it for much cheaper than seeing the vet, who will just send her to the tech LOL)

Walk into the vet, Ky's leash is draped over my neck as we walk through the glass doors. Immediately, two chi's come flying at her barking and growling up a storm. I stop, Ky stops looks up at me, and I swear she rolled her eyes. The chi's aren't even on leash and they're going bananas (but not getting close to me or Ky). I ignore them and walk up to the front desk, check in and walk past the crazy chi's and then notice two other "small babies" who jump off their owner's laps and come flying at us ... so we have four freaking dogs all off leash barking and growling and the owners are in fits trying to grab their dogs. I simply walked through them to the end of the waiting room, sat down, snapped my fingers, pointed to the floor, and Ky laid in front of me. I put the leash on the chair, and just rolled my eyes, muttered "and GSDs are the "aggressive breed?" and tried to ignore the chaos.

One of the "baby" dog owners finally got her dog somewhat under control and comes towards me (her dog's on leash and still barking). I look at her and said - please do not approach me and my dog. She stops and says, but he calms down when he's said hello to other dogs.

I replied - well, I don't want my dog being greeted by a dog that has no manners, and can't quit barking.

She huffs and goes back to her seat. I can see her muttering to her husband, but ignore them.

Meanwhile, Ky's still laying there, doing nothing.

One of the other women comes over (without her dog) and says, what's wrong with your dog? She must be really sick since she's so calm.

I replied: she's not sick, she's trained.

Thankfully, I was saved by the tech who came out to take Ky to the back room.

Off she goes (and yes, she's still a GSD, looked back and have a little howl ... but she went!)

I pull out my book and am trying to read when the first woman comes up to me (with her nutso dog) and says how did you get your dog to be so calm when you come here? Killer goes nuts, as I'm sure you saw.

OK ... Killer? How about a name change for a chi for heaven's sake ... but I digress.

All I said ... I trained her, I worked with her, I socialized her, I brought her everywhere, I taught her what was acceptable and what wasn't. I did what EVERY dog owner is SUPPOSED to do when they get a dog.

And then I tried to get back to my book ... but NOPE ... she was pretty persistent.

BUT HOW?

I closed my book and looked at her ... she's about my age (40 or so) and I asked her ... do you really want to hear it? Because you probably won't like what I'm going to tell you.

She got this "look" on her face for a second, and then nodded.

Fine - I don't treat my dog like a baby. My dog doesn't sit on my lap, she doesn't share my food when I'm eating, she doesn't sit on my couch, sleep in my bed, and she doesn't get away with barking like a maniac. She's a dog, not a kid with four legs and fur. She has boundaries, limits and she knows what they are. When she steps out of them, I correct her, not laugh and say oh how cute. That's how I trained my dog.

And, then, thankfully I was saved again. The tech came out with Ky ... tail wagging a mile a minute, and quite content to be out of there!

This SAME woman sees the two bald spots on Ky's bum (ok, I admit they're pretty hilarious looking!) BUT ... she says, OMG, (in that super high-pitched voice) what happened to her ... did she have some kind of spinal surgery? And moves towards Ky ... I step in front of Ky and turn around ... and say, I also don't panic, and talk to my dog in that voice. She backed off instantly.

"Look at her ears", as I point to Ky. Her ears are back, no doubt trying to tune out that high pitched screech. "How could she have spinal surgery? She was gone all of 5 minutes."

I walk away from her and go up to the front desk to pay, and the receptionist winked, and said, THANK GOD there are people like you out there ... WE can't say anything. Her dog is horrible - we have to muzzle it.

So that was my most recent vet visit ... it breaks my heart to see dogs treated like that, and the humans? I just want to shake them ... but instead, I end up being rude LOL ... oh well!!!

So there's my update ... and I will try again, to be on here more often!!!!

Hope all is well with everyone!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,126 Posts
Great vet waiting room story! Congrats on speaking your mind. Lovely photos. Yes winter is hanging on here also - a foot of snow last week.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I dunno. If a person is willing to listen and learn I cut them some slack. We reward positive behaviour in dogs but we sure don't cut people the same slack ...even if they deserve it.

I DO get the frustration, I often have to deal with dogs like that, but it's so rare for someone to be willing to listen to another POV. I'd advise trying to take a deep breath and use it as a teaching moment, especially when someone says 'yes I do want to hear what you have say'. Don't make them feel bad when they are willing to admit they know their dog has a problem. I carry a few of my trainer's business cards to give out to people too.

Beautiful dogs, love the pics!

·
Registered
8,690 Posts
I'm glad to see you're back :). I hope the orthotics help

I think you and Kyleigh did a good job at the vet. However I do have to disagree with a few points being a small dog owner and large dog owner. Both my dogs are allowed on the couch and Jazzy does sleep on my bed every night and sit in my lap. Those things alone don't make a good or bad dog, but I know that wasn't your point. I expect the same manners from both Jazzy and Delgado regardless of their sizes. :)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I know that there are great "small" dog owners out there ... One of Ky's best friends is a toy poodle and he's a fabulous dog!

Unfortunately, in my experience, GOOD small dog owners are a rarity. I almost NEVER see the good small dog owners (and trust me I do look for them, and when I spot them, I tell the owners how awesome it is to see a great small dog that has manners!)

I have a pretty thick skin, and will take most comments that people say and just let them ride. BUT that day at the vet ... all four dogs were CLEARLY spoiled rotten lap dogs and the owners all thought it was cute how they were "standing up to the big GSD". THAT burns my butt.

Ky is allowed on the couch (on invite) and she is allowed on my bed (on invite) but she doesn't sleep with me because she takes up too much room (and I have a king sized bed that she seems to believe is ALL hers so I killed that idea really quick!)

My main point was these people all thought it was cute to see their small dogs "go after" the GSD ... but heaven forbid if the roles were reversed ... all heck would have broken loose!

The collodial silver is doing an awesome job on her hot spots ... almost cleared up and it's only been 2.5 days!!!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Understood ...I had to handle a chi that I needed salad tongs to get a looped leash on and off of him. Awful little monster but he was made that way by his owners (mostly the 'mom'), he 'tries' to go after my GSDs and Aussie too. He's bitten one of his owners too, drew blood.

Anyhoo, if the human attached to the dog asks for help they are letting down their guard, cut 'em a little slack. It means they recognize something is wrong and they are at least interested in fixing it.

I just got back from training at the park down the street and a couple with an ACD mix asked me for help 'cause their dog was dragging them all over the place. I gave them a couple of simple tips but told them the best thing to do was get with a good trainer and I handed them my trainer's card. :)

I told them it's a lot of fun once you get into the training and it builds a better bond with the dog too. I guess because I own my own business I tend to put my 'marketing' hat on...but if it helps people and their dogs it's all good.

Yeah, I know that there are great "small" dog owners out there ... One of Ky's best friends is a toy poodle and he's a fabulous dog!

Unfortunately, in my experience, GOOD small dog owners are a rarity. I almost NEVER see the good small dog owners (and trust me I do look for them, and when I spot them, I tell the owners how awesome it is to see a great small dog that has manners!)

I have a pretty thick skin, and will take most comments that people say and just let them ride. BUT that day at the vet ... all four dogs were CLEARLY spoiled rotten lap dogs and the owners all thought it was cute how they were "standing up to the big GSD". THAT burns my butt.

Ky is allowed on the couch (on invite) and she is allowed on my bed (on invite) but she doesn't sleep with me because she takes up too much room (and I have a king sized bed that she seems to believe is ALL hers so I killed that idea really quick!)

My main point was these people all thought it was cute to see their small dogs "go after" the GSD ... but heaven forbid if the roles were reversed ... all heck would have broken loose!

The collodial silver is doing an awesome job on her hot spots ... almost cleared up and it's only been 2.5 days!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts